Can a macbook air superdrive be removed from it's enclosure and used an a macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NealGranger, Jul 15, 2008.

1. NealGranger macrumors newbie

The superdrive in my 13' Macbook (core duo) recently died. Online, replacement drives can cost almost 200$ new. A macbook air drive costs only 99$. If the drive inside the external enclosure is the same, it's a great deal.

(I assume apple isn't making much profit selling them)

Does anyone know the details or model number of the drive inside the external enclosure, or has tried this already themselves?

Macbook air external drive hack (shows disassembled drive)
    MacBook Air SuperDrive for all

Macbook replacement drive:
    SuperDrive 8x Dual Layer Superslim

2. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

This would be a cool arbitrage situation if it were viable. Try to email the people at iFixit, they know everything about the insides of these machines.

3. JayMan8081 macrumors regular

I'll be interested to see if you can find out the answer to this question. I'm in a similar situation. My MacBook was the base model revision A and I am now finding that I want a SuperDrive but would like to stay under $100.

EDIT: According to this comment, http://tnkgrl.wordpress.com/2008/06/24/macbook-air-superdrive-for-all/#comment-9621 it will not work as the MBA drive is 12.7mm and the MacBook can only handle 9.5mm drives.

4. NealGranger thread starter macrumors newbie

Fail

Thanks for the feedback
    I already went out and bought a macbook air drive, took it apart and found it wouldn't fit. So i put i back together and returned it.
    But not a bad deal at all if you have a 17' MBP