Can a MacBook from 2006 snyc iPhones and can it run YouTube/Netflix good?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by batmankobe24, Jul 26, 2014.

1. batmankobe24 macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about getting a MacBook from 2006 for regular computer use (I don't feel like spending over 1000 bucks for a new one lol). I know that the machine run fine once you upgrade the ram and upgrade too at least Snow Leapord. And I want it to be able to sync my iPhone 4S and run YouTube and Neflix good. So is it the laptop good? Or should I buy a newer model (perhaps 2007-2009?) I'm only willing to spend like 250-300 bucks by the way (I was going to buy one on eBay if that matters).

2. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

A 2006 MacBook can, Snow Leopard still runs iTunes new enough to sync with iOS 7. BUT, it may not for long since it isn't getting updates anymore.

I grabbed an Early 2009 model for $199 off eBay last week, and it still runs the most current OS and is much better for something like YouTube and Netflix because it has a more powerful video card. I would try to get one of those. It'll last longer and is still supported. So if you get a new phone or a new version of iOS comes out that needs a new version of iTunes, you won't be stuck unable to sync your phone.

At the least, the Late 2006 and up models with the Core 2 Duo can run Lion, but it's getting up there in age too.

3. batmankobe24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks for the info. I'm gonna try to score the newest MacBook I can possibly get with my money. I'll strive to get the 2009 model then. Thanks!

4. Big Ron macrumors 6502

Big Ron

I purchased a late 2009 model and its brilliant. It has 8Gbytes of RAM and I have upgraded the hard drive to a Samsung EVO 840 250 Gbyte SSD. It feels faster than my desktop Imac and can run Mavericks no problems. :)

I have read that the last OSX that will run on this will be Yosemite but if thats the case - there is at least another 3 years of productive life left in this computer. Opt for a late 2009 (version 6.1 onwards) model and you wont go far wrong:cool:

5. batmankobe24 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's really good news then! Ok I'm gonna get the late 2009 MacBook. Thanks for helping out!

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Some notes about the late 2009 and mid 2010 MacBooks. They are the second version of the Unibody design on the MacBooks. The first was released in 2008 and was aluminum which was very similar to the 13" MacBook Pro. The white unibody MacBooks are currently under a recall program for a faulty bottom case. If your bottom case experiences any separation or peeling when you get it, then it is eligible for a free repair! The 2009 model will handle up to 8 GB of RAM, but the mid 2010 MacBook will accept up to 16 GB which offers a great deal of expandability. They also have a SATA II chipset and you can add an SSD after purchase.

7. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

If you're going to want to watch HD video get something with an nVidia chip in it. The Intel GMA chips are pretty weak and will offload a lot of work to the CPU. I too would look at a 2009 model if you can and max out the ram and look at an SSD

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Or a mid 2010 model as they aren't much more money, offer better expandability, and have a good GPU.

9. DcGamer05 macrumors regular

DcGamer05

Even with the 9400m HD video is appalling and so is Youtube/Netflix (flash & silverlight performance) I have a 2008 Aluminum Macbook with 8GB of memory and even with the latest OS (now testing Yosemite) HD video still skips when playing especially when a scene is panning it stutters. Netflix and Youtube are also terrible and often freeze up for a second then tries to catch back up again. Ive tried everything to fix my video performance issues with the 9400m and nothing helps.

In my opinion anything 9400m or below is unacceptable. Even though in the literature the 9400m claims it has awesome 1080p playback capabilities but it just doesn't do it well.

Ive tried another Aluminum Macbook to make sure it wasn't my machine and my friends had the same issue and she had 6GB of memory. The only OS videos will play smoothly in is 10.6 and windows 8.1 is ok.

Anyone else have video playback issues with the 9400m?

10. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

I've owned an '08 alu MacBook since it came out in October 2008 and never had an issue with HD playback. Only exception is 1080P Flash on sites with lots of other flash and ads. If I use fullscreen with YouTube 1080P for example, it's perfectly fine.

I've got plenty of BluRay rips and videos shot off my GSIII and iPhone that are full 1080P and they play great on my HD monitor and TV.

I've also got an Early 2009 MacBook 5,2 with the 9400m thats less powerful than the one in the Late 2008 (DDR 2, slower bus, slower CPU, less RAM) and even it will play 1080P fine. I tested it with a BluRay rip of Pearl Harbor and it looked great.

NOW, Silverlight is an entirely different beast. That thing will stutter like crazy on just about anything I've found out. Thanks MS, :roll eyes:

I've played some Amazon video on our iMac that will handle it "OK", and it's a 2007 model with the 128MB ATI 2400XT. About the same as the 9400m with that. So then I went to my Dell Precision running an Nvidia GT 630, and it was still stuttering on that! And it'll play most games on high. Same thing happened with a 5770/6770 I had laying around.

It is better on my rMBP, but far from perfect. I'd say most issues are related to inefficient code, like Flash and Silverlight. When it's H.264, or most any local file, it's fine. :)

The reason I finally upgraded to a 2010 MBP, then my rMBP was because of the GPU. Mostly with Aperture and using a 1080P monitor. Resizing windows, scrolling heavy pages, etc was getting a little long in the tooth, but it wasn't so back on Snow Leopard. I do think with newer versions of OS X, it's gotten less optimized for older hardware. Sad that it's the norm, but it always ends up that way. How tech works.