Can a Macbook that runs on 10.4 Tiger be upgraded to 10.6 Leopard?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mlin, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Mlin macrumors newbie

Can a Macbook that runs on 10.4 Tiger be upgraded to 10.6 Leopard?

I bought a used Macbook. It has the following specs:
    MacBook 2,1
    Intel Core 2 Duo
    2.16 GHz
    4 GB Memory 667MHz

I reformated the Mac for a fresh start (20GB+ of the space were used up and the seller claimed that everthing was erased)

However, the sad news is that the discs that the seller sent me appear to be 10.5.2 Tiger. In the auction, seller claimed that the OS is upgraded to 10.4 Tiger. When I tried to install, I get the error saying that "This software cannot be installed."

So... now it looks like I will have to buy an installation disk? lol

My question is will this laptop be able to run a 10.6 Leopard (I just put this example in because it seems to be the most popular one or something. I am new to Mac.)? Or will I receive the same error for that 10.5 Tiger?

Currently, this laptop has no OS installed.

Please advise. Thank you very much in advance.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yes.

Just for clarification:

10.4 = Tiger
    10.5 = Leopard
    10.6 = Snow Leopard

Just buy a Snow Leopard disk for $30 and install.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Maximum Max OS: Latest release of Mac OS X

You can find specs on all Apple products with Mactracker.

4. AaronSC101 macrumors newbie

It sure can! I just upgraded a macbook that was running on tiger to snow leopard today for a customer

5. KingNush macrumors newbie

. .

Yea ! Go Ahead It Will Take Patience A Install Disk And The Macbook !

6. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

Yes, and with the specs on your machine it'll run very well.

7. cubeeggs macrumors member

You seem to be seriously confused. The computer came with 10.4 Tiger. 10.5 is Leopard. The latest OS is 10.6, Snow Leopard, which can be purchased for $29 and installed on that MacBook, regardless of what OS is currently installed on it.

8. Mlin thread starter macrumors newbie

Ha yea I am new to Mac so I don't know which one is which. I thought that Tiger has its sub versions (10.4, 10.5) etc. Thank you for clarification.

I asked this question because the 10.5 disc that came with the laptop from the seller gives me error "This software cannot be installed" after I reformatted the computer (so the Mac had no OS after erased all). I don't know why that 10.5 disc won't work :S That is why I wanted to clarify first before I buy the installation discs.

9. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

You say you're new to Mac and reformatted the drive — you may have reformatted it to something incompatible with 10.5 Leopard. Did you format the disk as NTFS? Leopard requires HFS+.

Alternatively, if the previous owner had bought a new computer that shipped with Leopard, and has since installed Snow Leopard, he or she may have sent his Leopard discs instead of the original Tiger ones. While retail Mac OS X discs will work on any Mac, the ones that come with the computer are locked to the model. It's possible the wrong ones were sent, since your Mac (a mid-2007 model) shipped with Tiger. Are your install discs gray, or does it have a purple, starry background with a large X? (If this is the problem, just buy Snow Leopard for $29.)

I have the same model MacBook 2,1, 2.16 GHz, and it runs 10.6 Snow Leopard fine. Once you work out the problem, you should be perfectly good.