Can a MBA drive a HDMI monitor + VGA monitor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tirant, Aug 16, 2012.

1. tirant macrumors newbie

I am used to work with two screens when I'm on my table. On my current work laptop, a DELL, I usually connect both at the same time (VGA + HDMI). I just would like to know if its possible to do it with a MBA. As im planning in getting one soon.

Thanks.

2. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

Should be able to drive the pixels fine, but it only has one TB port. You would need an additional device to get a second port. There are USB Video adapters that would probably be OK for a VGA connection. There is also the Matrox Dual-head toGo, which takes Mini Display Port input (TB is compatible) and outputs two VGA, DVI or DisplayPort. You might need yet another adapter to get to HDMI.

The Retina MBP has 2 TB ports plus a built in HDMI port - no adapters required, but a lot more laptop, both in price and weight...

3. tirant thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately, the retina MBP is too big for me :( I may wait for a possible 13'' retina.

4. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

I'm holding out for the same, although I think both the current MBA and rMBP are great machines. I'd also like something a bit smaller that easily supports a pair of external monitors.

5. JimWPVB macrumors member

2nd External Monitor

Added a second external monitor via USB. Works well with little lag for documents and web. Have not tried video. Check on the 22" AOC USB Monitor at Amazon - $180 +/-. No external power required, but works most easily with a USB hub without TBD.

Works with both the MBA lid closed and open. Connected via TBD ports in my setup.

Matte finish! :)

6. Greggae512 macrumors newbie

I just ordered qty 2 "Cable Matters Premium USB 2.0 to HDMI Audio Video 1080P Adapter for Windows and Macbook" via Amazon ~ $50 each. I have tested out 1 of 2 with my 2011 MBA 11" Ultimate BTO & worked great with Mountain Lion. I saw some people had issues (displaylink forums) with certain other brands once they upgraded so I can say this works well with Mountain Lion.
    A minor caveat I have noticed in the first few days of testing it out is upon restarts I have to goto displays & un-mirror them & it reverts fine otherwise it seems to mirror my MacBook Air display to the USB monitor. I'll probably play with this more to sort it out. Waiting on additional cables/USB HUB in the mail as my end goal is MBA 11" + 3 x Samsung 27" displays. I just need more screen real estate for work & this seems to be working out perfect. I'll update again in a few days once the accessories arrive to flesh out this system.