Can a Mid 2014 MBP with factory installed Yosemite revert back to Mavericks?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by joyagirl, Dec 22, 2015.

1. joyagirl macrumors newbie

I understand that Mid 2014 Macbooks originally came with Mavericks, but in late 2014 they started shipping with Yosemite installed. Can a Mid 2014 spec Macbook with factory installed Yosemite (purchased in December 2014) run Mavericks with any hardware and software issues?

It looks like the hardware is the same so I can't understand why Apple says it's not possible? If it is a software issue then can't I just wipe the drive completely and then install Mavericks over it?

Thanks x

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

This is basically the same question you asked and was answered in this thread. See my answer there. :mad:

There is no need to post the same question in multiple forums. If a question is in the wrong forum the moderators can move it.

3. joyagirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry about that. I wasn't getting the answer and then I saw that there was actually a Mavericks board....

It won't happen again :)

It's still not clear to me what the driver issue is but I guess I will just totally erase my hard drive and then install Mavericks via a usb stick (having trouble putting it on a USB stick though as its over 4gb!!)

4. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

I'm not sure what answer you were not getting. There were multiple people posting that Mavericks should work on the other thread. It would be a good idea to make a back up of your current system, just in case there is a problem switching to Mavericks and you need to revert back.

You need a 8 Gb USB thumb drive. Here are some instructions that might help to create a USB installer:
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/0...able-os-x-10-11-el-capitan-usb-install-drive/

5. joyagirl, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015

joyagirl thread starter macrumors newbie

The issue I wasn't sure about was Yosemite or El Capitan habing different recovery disk and drivers. I guess I'm not technical enough to know if one can just easily wipe the ssd drive completely clean and then install Mavericks via a usb stick. I got confused when I heard that even if you wipe a drive the recovery partition still remains, thinking there might be non-hardware issues behind Apple saying one can't install an OS older than the original one.

My friend has a 2012 Macbook Pro (and also a late 2013 Macbook Air) with Mountain Lion, perhaps I can just clone her hard drive and transfer to the mid 2014 Macbook?

Thanks for your advice :)

6. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

No, as you stated in your first post, the 2014 MBP originally shipped with 10.9 (even though yours arrived with 10.10). 10.8 never was shipped with the 2014 MBP, so it probably would not work.

7. joyagirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I meant Mavericks not Mountain Lion, my bad!!! I meant copying her Mavericks drive and copying onto my Macbook (instead of doing a fresh Mavericks install via usb stick).

8. Isamilis macrumors 6502

You could try it first. My MBP Late 2011 came with Lion preinstalled, however Mid-2011 version still came with Snow Leopard. I could install successfully Snow Leopard but with few trick.