Can a new Verizon iPhone4 be jailbreaked out of the box ?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Darthdingo, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

I am an Android guy, thinking of possibly changing to either the Verizon or ATT iPhone4, for better battery life, and other reasons, just want to try something new and different. But would only do so, if I know for sure the phone can be jailbroke right of the box ? Untethered of course.

I have never owned a iPhone, don't know anything about jailbreaking, but I root and install custom ROM's on my Android phones all the time, so I am sure I can figure it.

So if I walk out of the phone store, with a brand new iPhone4, can it be done, or do they come out of the box with the latest update pre installed, and no jailbreak for the newest OS update ?

2. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Since 4.2.7 just came out yesterday for the vzw iphone, theoretically you should be able to go buy one today that still has 4.2.6 on it and you can jb it using greenpois0n.

Same goes for 4.3.2 on the att iphone. The phones in the stores probably have 4.3.1 (or older) on them and there is a jb available.

3. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they opened all phones still shrink wrapped in the stores and update them then reshrink wrap them when new firmware comes out.

4. dave420 macrumors 65816

I would be surprised if they did that. It seems like a lot of work for a minor update.

5. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate. So it looks like Greenpois0n is the way to go with a Verizon iPhone4 running 4.2.6 ?

Or wait for the White version due out in a few weeks, but that would probably come with 4.2.7 out of the box ? And no idea if Verizon is getting it ?

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Greenpoison is the way.
    If and when the white iPhone comes out, it will have 4.6.7 on it.

7. Darthdingo, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011

Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really debating on which route to go ? Get a new Nexus-S 4G on Sprint due out this week, or move to Verizon, and get the iPhone4 and jailbreak it.

Currently running the EVO 4G, rooted with custom ROM, and it is just too large, the 4.3" screen, and the heavy feel of this phone is just a tad too big for me, and with Summer coming, this phone feels like a brick in your shorts. Plus the poor battery life, even though it is much better now with the custom ROM's, it is still rather poor. So my main beef with the EVO, it is too large, and heavy, border line a small tablet.

I have played with a friends T-Mobile Nexus-S, is very lightweight, and compact, feels great in the hand, well designed ergonomically, and has a beautiful screen SAMOLED, if rooted and with CM 7.0 ROM can be a bad ass phone.

Then there is the iPhone4, and if jailbroke, and running some cool themes like "Timeless HD" can turn the boring iPhone, into something really neat and unique. But the tiny 3.5" screen is a bummer.

not sure...

8. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a