Can a november 06 macbook (when the core 2 duos came out) support 3 gigs of ram?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dan7592, Apr 7, 2008.

1. dan7592 macrumors regular

I was wondering because I ordered 2 gigs of crucial ram (which is great service btw, they have free shipping and it is with fedex :) ). Even if it does, does it even make use out of the 3rd gig? Will 2 gigs be enough for what I want to do with it? I am upgrading from 1 gig.

What I usually do with my macbook is go on firefox, sometimes ichat or adium, and sometimes I stream music over my network in itunes. Sometimes I also like to mess around with some of the ilife apps. I also have iwork 08 on my macbook as well.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yes. Understanding Intel Mac RAM - Mac Guides

Having said that, you probably have 2X512MB. So if you remove one of those and add the 2G stick, you will have 2.5GB which will still be an improvement over the original 2X512MB.

3. dan7592 thread starter macrumors regular

crap, I ordered 2x1gb from crucial. I might go back and buy a 2 gig stick and use one of my 1 gig sticks in my imac or something lol.

4. Manderson macrumors newbie

4gigs.... only 3.3 is recognizable. That's what I have in mine.

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Dan, give the 2GB a try. From your description of what you do, the extra gig might not make that much difference.