Can a Number Port Be Stopped?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by supervelous, Sep 15, 2012.

1. supervelous macrumors 6502

Pre-ordered the Iphone 5, had AT&T and pre-ordered via Apple Website, and chose Verizon and to port my AT&T number.

Now, I am having second thoughts and want to find out what I could do if I had a change of heart and decided to stick with AT&T.

My understanding is that the port wouldn't go into effect until I activate with Verizon, so theoretically I could return without using it and still stay with AT&T if I wanted?

Went with Verizon because they have LTE in my area but not AT&T....but now wondering if I made the right decision since I'm going from a $30/month unlimited plan to a $50/mo 5GB plan...and if AT&T adds LTE to my area within a few months I'll wish I had stayed.

Also over the last couple days since I ordered, noticed 2 or 3 cases where I was on phone and accessing data at the same time, which won't be able to do with Verizon.

AT&T customer service told me I'd have 59 days to change my mind and re-port back and still have my old plan, but I had never heard of that, and we all know customer service people can sometimes be horribly wrong.

2. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Best answer is to not to activate the Verizon phone since activating will trigger the port process. This is the easiest way. Just return the Verizon iPhone, note they will want to charge you $35 return fee and you will have to return it via mail.

Yes, the AT&T rep is sort of correct about returning to AT&T, if you leave. They actually consider any return with in 90 days to re-establish your existing AT&T account. Hey they will even credit back your ETF if you paid one.

Note: The ability to get your Grandfathered Unlimited iPhone data plan is the only thing that might not be able to be re-added. That's the biggest risk to just activating your new Verizon one and trying out the service.

Dave

3. Codepiink macrumors regular

Yes you can stop it. I initiated a port over the phone with tmobile a couple of months ago and then called about two hours later to cancel because both my tmobile phone and Verizon phone weren't receiving or making calls.