Can a RAID 1 Guardian Maximus rebuild easily if I have partitioned the RAID set?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by badhorsie777, Dec 2, 2009.

1. badhorsie777 macrumors member

I just bought a Guardian Maximus RAID1 kit and I have two 1TB drives in it. I'm using it over Airport Extreme as an airdisk (mac osx 10.6.2)

My question is simply: am I running a risk by partitioning it into two partitions? Should I ever have to rebuild the failed disk (which I understand is really simple with the Guardian Maximus) - will it have trouble doing two partitions? I'm using one 500gb partition for time machine and one 500gb partition as redundant itunes/media... whatcha think?

_Matt

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

It should be able to rebuild it.

But why did you partition it?

3. badhorsie777 thread starter macrumors member

How else can I use it for both time machine and big media storage? The time machine will just grow and grow unless it's constrained somehow... is there a better way than partitioning?

-matt

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

Not really, assuming you're sticking with TM. Just make sure to exclude the "big media storage" from TM, or you'll end up with duplication, and run out of space faster.

Watch your settings, and do some routine housekeeping of files as you go.

I'm used to separating things like that to separate drives (I don't like sharing, or trusting all my eggs in one basket per se), and using 3rd party backup utilities that I can customize substantially (Windows side mostly, as that's where my work data is derived due to applications available).