Can a tech center exist in a conservative city?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chew Toy McCoy, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Tech is the future but at least for now attracts mostly liberals. A conservative city could benefit economically but would there be major kickback against the “liberal disease?” Would liberals flock there for the cheaper cost of living only to ironically drive it up by doing so? Would the indigenous conservatives taking the jobs be enough to outnumber or balance out the liberals? Would they convert to liberalism from all the exposer inside and outside the workplace? Could this give birth to more young centrists?

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

You are basically implying conservatives drag their knuckles by asking such a thing

3. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

4. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I wasn’t meaning to.

I don’t know because I’m surrounded by liberal cities. Probably somebody who lives in a conservative state or city could answer that better than me. Dallas maybe? I don’t really know.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

6. chown33 Moderator

Staff Member

7. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

First city and corp I thought of when reading this.

8. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I asked the question because I don’t think there really is such a thing as a conservative US city (of any significant size). The city governments of even larger cities with Republican mayors and city councils are generally moderate at most.

9. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

No reason to assume that only "liberals" can do tech jobs. Not everyone in a tech company is a weed smoking dreamer. Plenty, if not most, jobs can be done by hardworking educated conservative people with good work ethics.

10. cmaier Suspended

Most “liberals” are not “weed smoking dreamers.” Most “liberals” are “hardworking educated” people with “good work ethics.”

11. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

I am as lefty as they come. I have two graduate degrees and work 60 hours a week. Oh and do not smoke weed.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 8, 2019 ---
    True. Even Dallas leans blue. Maybe in the deep deep south. Jacksonville is pretty conservative but that's not a huge city, same with Charleston, but ha, even Charleston went for Clinton in 2016.

12. LordVic macrumors 603

It's hart, not because of the companies themselves, but because of diversity that large cities bring.

13. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I'm asking if a tech heavy Silicon Valley or Seattle can be replicated in a conservative city without swinging the politics to the left.