Can America ever recover?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by G51989, Jul 2, 2014.

?

Can America be the best again?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. We can try

14 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. G51989, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014

G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

I know I have been posting bad things about America lately, why?

Because I think America can do better than what it is, and I feel more people need to understand that.

I have lived all over the world, and traveled all over the world, and I can say one thing.

America is jammed packed of very intelligent, hard working, moral, nice, understanding, diverse, open minded people. Even in the flyover states, you have a whole country of people wanting to make the best product they can, and do the best job they can.

Question:

Assuming America can shed its corporate dictatorship? Can America be world class and make the best products in the world again?

Honestly? I think America as a whole, which includes me. If we can ditch out Crony Capitalism and go back to how it was. Can we be world class? And the envy of the rest of the world? Like we used to be?

Honestly, I think yes. I am an electronics engineer and a business owner, some of the American built systems we have overhauled all over the northeast were built in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s. The quality of engineering and craftmanship blows away anything Ive EVER seen seen from Europe or Asia.

As a successful and expanding start up, I have a two year waiting list for the quality of products we put out at my business. And I will NEVER outsource anything over seas, I will keep my products made in America, from American materials, and made by American workers, that will never change.

I take huge pride in that. The two local school districts also take feild trips to my business ( in the 8th grade ), so they can see something actually made in America. Which was not my idea, but I think its cool. its good they see something made in America and locally, not wal Mart chinese stuff for once. They tour my 3 machine shops, R&D offices, cafe, and all that, and get a free lunch and all that, and get to play football with the workers ;)

What do you think?

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Absolutely. But the people of this country will need to sack up and, more importantly, grow up. As long as the majority of voters continue to be brainless minions and live their lives and make all their political/voting decisions solely based on the D or R next to their name, it won't happen.

The only way to turn things around to is end the petty kindergarten politics. Neither the Republicans nor the Democrats give a **** about the voters. They care about special interests and making more money and the majority of brainless voters just keep buying in to their crap.

Democrat and Republican voters alike need to drop the petty circular arguments between them and start acting like adults. Have discussions and make compromises. Work TOGETHER to make change, fight against these 1% plutocrat politicians that couldn't give a **** about them, and end this partisan hackery that's driving this nation apart.

Because, let's be real. The vast majority of people on both sides of the aisle are just normal people, and some middle class Democrats from Massachusetts share a hell of a lot more in common with some middle class Republicans from Texas than either of them do with the rich fat cats running the show in Washington.

3. TechGod Suspended

TechGod

As an outsider, I've always felt that the republicans seem to disagree with the democrats 'Cause democrats aint right!

Of course that goes both ways.

4. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Unfortunately, none are in a position of power.:(

HUGE assumption there. Viva la revolution!:eek:

Doubtful. Other countries have become much, much more adept at manufacturing than we ever where. For example, road repair in Japan, after the tsunami struck, took only 6 days.:eek: Roadwork in the US takes 6 years.:rolleyes:

I think we can rival other nations, but be the top dog, creme de la creme? No chance. We are too far behind Germany (engineering), Japan (craftsmanship) and even China (manufacturing) AND our infrastructure is the equivalent of the stuff cowboys scrape off their boots. Maybe 200 years after throwing off the shackles of Big Banks and Corporate 'Murica.
    [​IMG]

5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Its worth remembering that America has seen very bad days before.

The Great Depression was so bad that fully a third of the young men drafted for service in 1940 and 1941 were rejected for being underweight due to malnutrition. Those were hard times. And yet a mere decade later, America was widely seen as the most prosperous society the world had ever known, where home ownership and a new car were within reach of just about anyone.

We can regain that status. But its going to take some sacrifice. And its going to take some leadership.

Conservative Americans are going to have to put away the guns, and their belief that their brand of religion is the answer to everything. It isn't. They also need to be reminded that it was immigrants and working people that made this country the great place they think it is: so quit demonizing them. They also need to remember that it was taxes and borrowed money that paid for all the things that make us prosperous: like a railroad, an internet, and an interstate system.

Those on the Left need to remember a few things also. Business isn't the enemy. Its possible to overtax and over-regulate. And no matter how much we might try, we can't legislate or regulate a totally fair society.

I still am optimistic about America in the 21st century. I just hope us Americans don't let me down.

6. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

+1

I couldn't have said it better myself. I wish more people thought this way.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

nice post :)

8. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

Indeed

Might happen, might not.

I think America might be stuck on vendors, but I don't think we are that far behind.

I can of agree with most of this.
    |
    But as for innovation and know how?

I am a small business owner, I have about 35 people working for me, I have a 3 year WAITING LIST of companies from Asia and Europe and South Americam , pretty much begging me to take their money and projects, I am just a small business guy, and people all over the world want our contracts.

Might not be all of America, but clearly if a small business running about 35 is in Demand all over the world, I think that does say something about AMerica, that will still know how to do things right most of the time ;)

And not to took my own horn, but my business produces some of the best electronic sets in the entire damn world, we blow away companies in Europe and Asia 1000 times our size ;)

9. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

This is where Americans excel. Most of our greatest inventions come from crazy geniuses, not government sponsored programs. We had guys like Thomas Edision, Nikola Tesla, Alexander Graham Bell and Henry Ford. More recently, the Wizard of Woz:cool:, the guys who wrote the AmigaOS.

Russia can give us a run for our money on crazy geniuses, but our crazy geniuses have more and better resources. We have the advantage there. Russia as the advantage on the crazy part.:D

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

When I read comments from international businessmen claiming that it's easier to do business in China than in the U.S., I figure that we have a leadership problem in our government. It's "all of them": The administration, the congress and the bureaucracies. And down the ladder to state and local, as well.

11. jnpy!$4g3cwk, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014

jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Yes, you are right. Business sure would be easier if we could just suppress dissent at the Federal, State, and Local levels, and, not have to worry about air or water pollution, or, the property rights of farmers or small businesspeople. If a big enterprise needs to get something done, it should just be able to get it done, right?

(For non-Americans: this is what humorless sarcasm looks like.)

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'm always a little bit shy of using China as a good comparison because the relationship between government and corporations is very different.

Business seems easy in China, so long as you're selling cars and hamburgers. And, the Chinese are willing to put aside human rights and environmental consequences for the right price.

That's not a model we should attempt to copy.

However, we've also done a poor job at considering how overlapping laws can hinder business without actually adding anything to society, making it difficult for some businesses to develop and grow.

13. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

America will never be able to shed its corporate dictatorship unless the people are willing to take up arms and spill blood; there's no other option.

14. Huntn, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Sure it can recover as long as we don't allow ourselves to be led by buffoons. However half of the country (depending on your outlook which half) have a propensity to vote for buffoons. There is a group trying to advance the country and another trying to push us back to the 1950s from a social perspective while turning us into a plutocracy. I see us being in big trouble.

15. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

I vote no because we can't shed this. We don't have the will nor the fortitude nor the money.

With the recent hobby lobby decision, we've shown that corporations own all three branches of government.

"Assuming America can shed its corporate dictatorship? Can America be world class and make the best products in the world again?"

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I think America can recover. Sadly, I think it will take us hitting rock bottom to affect the change we need.

17. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Just like alcoholics... it seems to be characteristic of the human condition.

18. samiwas macrumors 68000

And how can we make it "easier to do business" in the US? Allow them to pollute? Allow then to have unsafe workplaces? Allow them to pay wages which couldn't support a 5-year-old? Allow them to pay no tax?

What should businesses be allowed to do that they can't do already? They already are making record profits, so obviously, things aren't that bad. But for some reason, brainless morons keep thinking business is suffering.

19. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Sure it's easier, because their primary focus is a free hand and profits, not acting responsibly. Open your eyes.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If China's government was as unpopular as those in the West it would be overthrown.

21. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Erm...
    [​IMG]

22. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

they say that to trick you into giving them more tax cuts

23. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

That was an awful event but showed the world people in China were starting to think reform.

As time goes on reform and a move towards western capitalism will be easy. I don't expect any quick changes or revolutions but a slow changing away from China's old model. The communists are too entrenched to take out in any given year.

China can't keep on pretending they are separate from the world market, and it's obvious that capitalism has changed their country more than communism ever will. There's no perfection in a free market and merchants running the show over party officials, but it's a lot better than the totalitarian regime that ruled the country under Mao.

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

It certainly was. I still remember the news reports coming in. 'Tank Man' 's attempt to stop the armoured column was perhaps the bravest thing I have ever witnessed.

25. zin Suspended

Governments in the West usually take notice of dissent. The Chinese Government has a tradition of crushing it.