Can an Airport Express Be Used To Allow Multiple Devices on One Hotel WiFi Charge?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adoland, Dec 25, 2010.

1. adoland macrumors newbie

The hotel only has wireless in the room and charges separately for each device logged in. Any suggestions in kindly appreciated in advance.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You could try, but is it really worth it? Why not just use one device?

3. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Only if the hotel uses an Apple router, and will let you access its settings and set up your express as an extender.

Or if theres an ethernet port in the room, you could create your own wireless network.

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Depends on how they authenticate the device. If you have to open a web page and enter credentials, you might not be able to get an ip address for the router.

Ah, but if it's wireless only, I think you are out of luck.

5. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

Just allow Internet sharing...then broadcast it with your laptop.

6. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

This should work brilliantly.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Through what antenna?

I don't think they can receive on WiFi and rebroadcast a shared connection on the same Airport antenna.

8. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

You are correct... I forgot that the internet sharing only works when the computer transmitting the new signal is hardwired with an ethernet cable.

9. adoland thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but I'm traveling with the wife and son which equals 3 iPhones, 2 iPads and a PC. That totals $72 / day for wifi charges at the Westin Coral Gables, so if there are any other thoughts about how to do this with a hard wire I'd love to hear it. My conversation with the manager made me feel about 1/2 inch tall so I'd love to send this one out the right end of the tube big time.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Really, no, there isn't a way.

11. sjdigital macrumors regular

Actually there is a way, if you can get hold of a Linksys WTR54G travel router (note, it's WTR, not WRT). This has the useful capability of being able to connect to a wireless network (provided it isn't encrypted) and at the same time create its own wireless network using the 192.168.16.xxx IP range. Unfortunately Linksys discontinued the device some years ago but you might find one on FleaBay. It's absolutely perfect for what you want to do.

12. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Surely it'd require you to enter your password when a new device connects to your newly created network, kicking the previous device off?

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yep...as others have said, you better hope they have an in-room ethernet port.

If so, you can use an Airport Express or just your Apple laptop to get internet from that and then share it from its own self-created wifi network.

If they don't have that then I don't have any ideas with the current hardware you have.

14. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Next time stay at a Holiday Inn Express.........

15. sjdigital macrumors regular

No, that's the clever thing about it (I assume you're talking about the Linksys router?). You log on to the hotel network from a computer connected via the Linksys and as long as the Linksys is powered on It stays connected and you can connect as many devices (well, up to 255) as you want.

16. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

The OP could even resell the other 249 connections to other victims staying at the hotel!

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Or you could JB your iphones and use your AT&T data for internet tethering without paying anything to the hotel.

18. adoland thread starter macrumors newbie

Perhaps a nudge to management made progress

Mr. Doland,

Thanks for your comments regarding your recent stay here in Coral Gables. Although it is not pleasant to hear of our shortcomings I am grateful for the gift of feedback from your comments!

I understand your frustration over the Wi-fi I actually was not aware that we were charging for multiple devices in the room and of course I am putting a policy in place that one room, one charge per day moving forward. With regards to our escalator, it indeed took almost a month to have the right hand guard replaced as they are all custom produced and this made the process that much longer. Both handrails are now fixed and I don’t believe we should have issues with the escalator moving forward.

As far as the unseasonably cold weather and our lack of heat in the Hotel….we do have small heating elements in our guestrooms but even those do not put out enough BTU’s in extreme cold in some instances. The hotel public space has no heat provision but unless it’s a prolonged cold snap we tend to not feel this cool in these areas..

Once again I apologize for the issues on your stay, I would like to show you a better more refreshing stay if you allow me another opportunity.

If your travels bring you back to Gables please contact me directly and I will make your next stay a renewing one

Be Well and Happy New Year

Mike Wurster
    General Manager

19. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Its worked for me. It'll also work with the ASUS 330G.

20. adoland thread starter macrumors newbie

Blueroom which post are you agreeing with?

21. Zcott macrumors 68020

Awesome to see a hotel manager on MR to get in touch with the OP. If only all hotel managers did that...