Can an Apple Genius monitor temperature of iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FCzenit, Jun 30, 2009.

1. FCzenit macrumors member

My iPhone has been overheating lately while just laying idle next my pillow during the night charging, and losing battery faster then the charger is able to recharge it. I want to take it to the apple store and try to get a new one but last time they told me they can only exchange it if they verify the problem. Many times I've seen them using an app on their macs which lets them monitor previous battery usage times, dropped calls, etc. So I am wondering if they can also monitor highest temperature reached as well since we do know that an iphone has a temperature sensor. Or is there another way they can verify the problem.

2. diabolic macrumors 68000

I don't know about monitoring the temperature.

I do know I wouldn't put my phone under a pillow while it's plugged in and charging. I'd expect that is causing the problem.

EDIT: i noticed you edited your post to change "under the pillow" to "next my pillow".

3. emt1 macrumors 65816

It's overheating when it's charging under a pillow? I'm shocked. SHOCKED!

EDIT: OP changed location of his iPhone

4. FCzenit thread starter macrumors member

Well what I meant was next to my pillow, I didnt think the two would change the scenario so I just typed whatever, but since it does im confirming that it is next to my pillow and its being doing this for the past 3 nights

5. diabolic macrumors 68000

While it's charging, you aren't playing music or running any apps?

Try putting it on a hard surface overnight and charge it there. See if there is any difference. Obviously, when it's plugged in, it will get warmer.

6. cmcconkey macrumors 6502

iPhone 3GS Wake up problem and other problems

didn't mean to post here....

7. FCzenit thread starter macrumors member

as I said the problem is not only the overheating but its that its always around 70% when i plug it in and its dead by the morning with it being plugged in. I already tried setting to EDGE, turning off all push, and turning off location services, but its doing something else thats causing it to not only overheat but also to lose battery life faster then it gains it back from the outlet.

8. deliriousfenk macrumors newbie

So does that mean you're never able to charge the phone? If you leave it plugged in overnight and it doesnt charge, I don't see how you've been able to use it...

9. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

So... how do you get it charged back up again?

10. FCzenit thread starter macrumors member

I should of mentioned that this only happens when charging from a wall socket(yes i tried multiple outlets, at a friends house too). Im forced to charge it from the macbook which is more inconvenient for me.

11. Switz213 macrumors 6502

The wall plug could be dead. Is it an oem apple? I would take it back and ask for a replacement.

12. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Have you tried a different plug to use with the usb cable in the wall?

Not an outlet, but the plug piece you put the usb cable into to charge.

13. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

have you tried, oh I dunno, bare with me here...move it away from your pillow, like on a night stand? Try that and see how that works!

14. FCzenit thread starter macrumors member

yes when I did it at my friends house I used his, besides mine is brand new since I only had time do the adapter exchange a month ago

15. FCzenit thread starter macrumors member

Read the rest of the thread before answering...

16. MacduJour macrumors newbie

Are you syncing with Exchange?

I had this issue with my iPhone 3G a while back. If I recall correctly, I had to delete the Exchange account, then add it back on. The phone got caught up in a bad sync cycle, and it would run hot all day, and battery drain was extremely excessive. Not sure if this is the case with you, but I thought I'd share my experience with you. It may help, or lead to a potential solution.

17. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

The iPhone, when it gets too warm, will shut down the AC charging, and will deplete your battery if it stays too warm.

18. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

My 3GS was getting very hot occasionally and was doing other weird things like not auto dimming the screen.

I restored it as a new phone and those problems are gone.

As others have said, if you can charge it from a USB port on a Mac but not from the wall outlet, then be suspicious of the AC adapter.