Can an Apple genius transfer my info to a new phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slapguts, Apr 17, 2008.

1. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Ive been a happy iPhone user since last august, but recently my screen has been developing some strange white spots, that seems to be growing. My dock connector is also crooked. The charger doesn't seat fully, and the DLO transpod I use in the car has to be turned at an angle to keep my iPhone from falling out. Seems like an excuse for an exchange.

The only problem is I am currently without any kind of computer. My iguana knocked a cup of coffee into my old laptop. Its getting replaced with an iMac in the very near future, though. I bought one off ebay (the one in my signature) but it needs a new logic board.

If I have my phone replaced, will I lose all my contacts and iTunes library? Or can an apple genius transfer all of this to the new one? Should I just live with it until I save up for an iMac?

2. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

U can just get a new iPhone and restore from a backup!

Thats what im sure they would say to you.

3. Surely Guest

Surely

He can't restore from a backup if he has no backup.

4. auburnfan24 macrumors regular

they will do it for you....but they will tell you next time to back it up if you can before coming in or just in case anything happens you dont lose everything.

5. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

I don't think they can move the iTunes content! The backup of your phone that is made when you sync with iTunes does not contain your music or video. That information will be resynced after you restore from the backup file in iTunes.

If you don't have iTunes, no PC, I don't think the Apple store will be able to copy the music or video from one phone to another.....

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't even want to know. :p

Have you tried opening up this notebook and pulling the hard drive out? Most likely, it is not damaged. You can get a 2.5" external enclosure for a relatively small amount of money, and this at least will get you access back to your files, for you to import onto a new computer. You should be able to boot another Windows computer off the drive and use it to put your stuff on your iPhone. You could even borrow an enclosure from someone if you know someone who has one.

7. westernmass macrumors 6502

westernmass

They can restore however it will not include your music,videos,photos,rintones. I know I have had them restore my phone twice. Once was to get a new phone. I did have to go home and sync for all contents I mentioned. Contacts,calendar was there when I left the store.

8. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Opps sorry!

For some reason i over looked that went i read it fast :)

Yea they would be happy to do that for you im sure!

9. slapguts thread starter macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Thanks for the replies. I'd hate to lose all my music and ringtones, so I guess I'll hold off until I get a new computer.

I did buy an external enclosure for the laptops old hard drive, so the iTunes library is intact. I might have a line on a cheap G4 iMac, can't wait. I used the last one for about 3 days, and can't imagine going back.

The iguana has also been banned from the office. He has run of the rest of the house, but not the office anymore. Stupid lizard.