Can an AT&T JB'en iPhone 4S be used on VZW?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by 3282868, Feb 10, 2012.

1. 3282868 macrumors 603

I have an iPhone 4S JB'en with AT&T and am considering leaving for VZW. All 4S devices have the same Broadcom chipsets (CDMA/GSM) so technically the iPhone 4S's don't differ from carrier to carrier (aside from a few software tweaks).

Question: If I were to purchase a cheap phone on VZW is there any way to use my AT&T iPhone 4S on their network? I'm guessing a flat-out no as it is a subsidized iPhone, but never hurts to ask. Thanks! :)

2. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

Seems I'll be placing my 4S JB'en on eBay. Should wait for an unlock.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Even with the unlock, Verizon won't allow it on their network.

4. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

Yeah, I meant selling it unlocked will get more $$$ than a simple JB'en device

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

There isn't likely to be an unlock, unless your name is musclenerd and you know something we don't.

6. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

Nope, and I ain't Ms Cleo either but that doesn't mean there won't be an unlock for the A5 in the future. I can always wait.

Thanks for the productive help. :)

7. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Isn't it outrageous that it won't? These phones have both network radios in them.

8. saud0488 macrumors 6502

Crazy how behind the times people are

http://www.redmondpie.com/unlock-iphone-4s-on-baseband-1.0.11-1.0.13-1.0.14-using-tpsim-report/

If it works then I would wait to sell the 4s. Those things will likely get copied by other companies and the price will be down to 50% of that within a matter of weeks. It's exactly what happened to Gevey. I bought one for 5 dollars off of eBay and used it abroad. It functioned extremely well.

9. 3282868, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

I definitely plan on waiting to sell the 4S until an official unlock is either released by the dev team or some other form is available. I've been comparing plans, etc bet VZW and AT&T (considering dropping my unlimited plan to the 3GB plan). As I'm one of the many who have been throttled in the NYC market since Oct (also an iOS developer, don't tether, and have never gone over 3GB/mo 3G data), I have been "dealing" nicely with AT&T "data experts" and without getting into details they are strong arming unlimited data users into a tiered plan. I have no issue with paying more money for data. This is principle, and as a customer since Cingular who has supported AT&T since the iPhone release and as an AAPL corp employee I need the ability to have 3G access as I am on the road quite a bit. Interesting that many of my fellow colleagues have left AT&T for VZW. That states much.

So:

VZW
    Pro's:
    - Better QoS and LTE network for the next LTE iPhone this fall
    - Throttling only occurs if/when the tower one is on is congested, then speeds ret to "normal"
    - Better voice
    - Better 3G coverage
    - Can unlock the iPhone after 60 days of "good standing"

Con's:
    - No simultaneous data+voice until the LTE model is released
    - Slightly more expensive plan
    - No rollover minutes (have ~2,000 on my AT&T account)
    - Will have to sell the 4S this fall when the LTE 5 is released

AT&T:
    Pro's:
    - Data+Voice on its current iPhone 3G GSM network (will change w/ LTE model)
    - Faster 3G network
    - Rollover minutes
    - Can change to a 3GB tiered plan for the same as my $30/unlimited

Con's:
    - Awful customer servicer
    - Terrible coverage (esp in California)
    - Strong arming customers through "programs" in order to punish and circumvent existing contracts
    - Has the most class action lawsuits for US based mobile carriers
    - Once throttled, you are throttled for the remainder of your monthly billing cycle, unlike VZW which depends primarily on current congestion then speeds return to "normal"

can either:

1-
    - Switch now in order to break from AT&T due to its current abuse towards customers
    - Sell my current 4S jailbroken and wait for an unlock (also have a 3GS unlocked I need to sell)
    - Buy the LTE 5 and sell my VZW 4S this fall

2-
    - Switch to the AT&T 3GB tiered plan
    - Wait it out and switch when the iPhone LTE is released
    (the above means giving into AT&T's actions, which is precisely what I do not want to do)

Decisions...

UPDATE:
    I checked my 3G data usage from Oct 2010 - now. Interesting that I never once went over 1GB until Dec 2011 when I (apparently) used 2.1 GB then 2.9 GB in January.

[​IMG]

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

1st this unlock just came out reported today and unconfirmed so I wouldn't say anybody is behind the times. Also you need to realize even a factory unlocked phone still won't be allowed on a Verizon CDMA network which is the OP's original question. ;)

From Apple's site!

The unlocked iPhone works only on supported GSM networks, such as AT&T in the U.S. When you travel internationally, you can also use a micro-SIM card from a local GSM carrier. The unlocked iPhone will not work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint.

A Unlocked phone would be no better! If TS still wants to go to Verizon selling his phone is te best option. I don't think the $85 sim would be a good investment.