Can an iphone connect to the internet with methods other than wifi?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Liise, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Liise macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm in a really weird situation. For the next few months I won't have access to wifi, but I still want to use internet on my iphone. There will be internet available, but wifi is not allowed (it's a really weird situation). Is there any possible way an iphone could be hooked up to the internet through a laptop or some other method aside from wifi?

Even just pointing me in the right direction helps. I have no idea where to start a search like this.

2. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

Do you also mean without "Mobile Data" because otherwise your question makes no sense ?!? :confused:

3. gstevie macrumors 6502

gstevie

Could you get a Mobile Hotspot unit? In the UK Three seem to have things like this: http://www.three.co.uk/Store/Mobile_Broadband?tab=MiFi™+&+Dongles

That would allow you to connect to the Carrier signal and you pay for the amount of data that you want to have available each month. I don't think there is any way of connecting an iPhone or other phone to a laptop or router via a wired connection. The set up of these devices assumes that a mobile phone will provide its data - 3G ect, connection to the laptop when there is no WiFi.

4. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

As long as you're in range of a cell tower with 4G or LTE, your phone will use that for Internet. Might want to explicitly turn off wifi when you do, otherwise the phone will try to use the wifi it finds over the LTE/4G.

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Tether via USB, to laptop using a mobile dongle to connect to the network?