Can an iPhone picture or video be traced back to the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DuckSoup, Apr 30, 2010.

1. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Say I am witnessing a crime and have an opportunity to take photos or a video of it. Then lets say I want to submit them to authorities as evidence but do so anonymously. If I get the "original" pictures to the authorities either by sending from an anonymous email address, or on a flash drive or CD etc, can the information recorded with the file be traced back to my iPhone, thus identifying me?

Basically, does the EXIF information recorded with the file include info that IDs the exact iPhone?

Mike

2. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

It is on the songs you download, so I won't be surprise the same for this case.

3. iRance macrumors regular

Fixed for you.

4. ajones46 macrumors 6502

Interesting scenario... I wonder if the iPhones geotagging gets saved somehow if you were to put it on a flash drive. I'd like the answer to this question also.

5. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

If you're using a PC, irfanview will remove exif data losslessly.

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

yes it does get saved, I have many a time moved images off my iPhone on to a usb drive and later imported into iphoto on my macbook and it knows where the photo was taken in places

7. John T macrumors 68020

John T

No! The EXIF Data only records that the photo was taken on an iPhone. If geotagging is enabled when the photo is taken, the location is also recorded.

8. Dead Panda macrumors member

Really? The songs you download include your device ID? Weird. I wonder how they do that even when you don't download them on the iPhone.

9. bripab007 macrumors 6502

So, to actually answer the guy's question: no, there shouldn't be any data that could be traced back to your phone, cerrainly not your name or email address. Geotagging, yes, but that wouldnt rrally help anyone find you or the phone.