Can an unlocked iPhone 5 work as an iPod?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wolfpup, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Wanted to check-can an unlocked iPhone 5 (i.e. one purchased unlocked from Apple.com) function as a high end iPod touch without ever activating service on it?

Wanted to check as my iPod's toast, and I really don't want to buy another iPod touch 4 when the hardware is so outdated compared with the iPhone 5 (since inexplicably we never got a touch 5 last year).

2. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

It can as long as you have a SIM card just to activate the phone. You'll have a functioning iPod once you remove the SIM card after going through the activation process.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

4. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

It's possible in theory, but there is one little problem... as of right now, there is no iPhone 5.

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

The biggest problem is there isn't an iPhone 5 yet.

6. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Yeah - Just don't put in a SIM, turn on Airplane mode, then manually turn on WiFi and Bluetooth. iPod mode. It just doesn't say "iPod" in the upper left corner.

7. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

What does activating it involve? Could I buy like a $15 micro-SIM from StraightTalk, stick it in, and then...do I have to do anything more than that? Or if I have to actually have service can I just buy something cheap from StraightTalk or whatever, pay for a month, and then sounds like it works?

Came out almost 8 months ago...which is why I really wish this had happened AFTER the 6 was out! Nothing worse than buying something this expensive/important right before a new one hits.

I don't know...I might just buy a white iPod touch, but it's just sooooooooooooo slow/low end since it was never updated when the iPhone was.

----------

Oh, so you can get it from Apple and never bother with the "activating" part? Never mess with a SIM?

I forgot about Airplane mode...wouldn't be able to use that as a simple toggle anymore like I do for my iPod lol.

8. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

You know it's called a 4S not a 5 right?