Can an unlocked iPhone 5 work as an iPod?

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Wanted to check-can an unlocked iPhone 5 (i.e. one purchased unlocked from Apple.com) function as a high end iPod touch without ever activating service on it?

Wanted to check as my iPod's toast, and I really don't want to buy another iPod touch 4 when the hardware is so outdated compared with the iPhone 5 (since inexplicably we never got a touch 5 last year).

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
Wanted to check-can an unlocked iPhone 5 (i.e. one purchased unlocked from Apple.com) function as a high end iPod touch without ever activating service on it?

Wanted to check as my iPod's toast, and I really don't want to buy another iPod touch 4 when the hardware is so outdated compared with the iPhone 5 (since inexplicably we never got a touch 5 last year).
It can as long as you have a SIM card just to activate the phone. You'll have a functioning iPod once you remove the SIM card after going through the activation process.

Jordan921

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area

The biggest problem is there isn't an iPhone 5 yet.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah - Just don't put in a SIM, turn on Airplane mode, then manually turn on WiFi and Bluetooth. iPod mode. It just doesn't say "iPod" in the upper left corner.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
What does activating it involve? Could I buy like a $15 micro-SIM from StraightTalk, stick it in, and then...do I have to do anything more than that? Or if I have to actually have service can I just buy something cheap from StraightTalk or whatever, pay for a month, and then sounds like it works?

It's possible in theory, but there is one little problem... as of right now, there is no iPhone 5.
Came out almost 8 months ago...which is why I really wish this had happened AFTER the 6 was out! Nothing worse than buying something this expensive/important right before a new one hits.

I don't know...I might just buy a white iPod touch, but it's just sooooooooooooo slow/low end since it was never updated when the iPhone was.

----------

Yeah - Just don't put in a SIM, turn on Airplane mode, then manually turn on WiFi and Bluetooth. iPod mode. It just doesn't say "iPod" in the upper left corner.
Oh, so you can get it from Apple and never bother with the "activating" part? Never mess with a SIM?

I forgot about Airplane mode...wouldn't be able to use that as a simple toggle anymore like I do for my iPod lol.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
What does activating it involve? Could I buy like a $15 micro-SIM from StraightTalk, stick it in, and then...do I have to do anything more than that? Or if I have to actually have service can I just buy something cheap from StraightTalk or whatever, pay for a month, and then sounds like it works?

Came out almost 8 months ago...which is why I really wish this had happened AFTER the 6 was out! Nothing worse than buying something this expensive/important right before a new one hits.

I don't know...I might just buy a white iPod touch, but it's just sooooooooooooo slow/low end since it was never updated when the iPhone was.

----------

Oh, so you can get it from Apple and never bother with the "activating" part? Never mess with a SIM?

I forgot about Airplane mode...wouldn't be able to use that as a simple toggle anymore like I do for my iPod lol.
You know it's called a 4S not a 5 right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.