Can an X purchased via add-a-line on VZN plan be used to replace existing line instead?

Patrick G

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
I currently have four iPhone X orders in progress. Because of all the preorder trouble last night, instead of ending up with phones for my wife and I on 11/03, with the kids' phones coming later (because they are Christmas presents), I ended up with the opposite:

• Two iPhone Xs purchased outright from Apple to be delivered 11/17
  • Two iPhone Xs purchased via the Verizon app on the Verizon Payment Plan (I added two lines) to be delivered on 11/03

Questions:

1. Can I take those two phones from Verizon when they arrive on 11/03 for my wife and I, and then plan to give the kids the phones that were purchased outright from Apple? Is that possible given the Verizon phones are new lines I added to the family plan by way of Verizon Payment Plan?
  2. Even though the two phones I purchased outright from Apple were purchased separately, one from my wife's phone via her Apple account by selecting the "replace this phone" option, and the other from my phone via my Apple account by selecting the same option, could we switch these up upon arrival and I take hers and she take mine?

Last edited:

jwire4

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2010
I currently have four iPhone X orders in progress. Because of all the preorder trouble last night, instead of ending up with phones for my wife and I on 11/03, with the kids' phones coming later (because they are Christmas presents), I ended up with the opposite:

• Two iPhone Xs purchased outright from Apple to be delivered 11/17
  • Two iPhone Xs purchased via the Verizon app on the Verizon Payment Plan (I added two lines) to be delivered on 11/03

Questions:

1. Can I take those two phones from Verizon when they arrive on 11/03 for my wife and I, and then plan to give the kids the phones that were purchased outright from Apple? Is that possible given the Verizon phones are new lines I added to the family plan by way of Verizon Payment Plan?
  2. Even though the two phones I purchased outright from Apple were purchased separately, one from my wife's phone via her Apple account by selecting the "replace this phone" option, and the other from my phone via my Apple account by selecting the same option, could we switch these up upon arrival and I take hers and she take mine?
Yes, you should be able to do it without issue. I've always gone into a Verizon Store on launch day and the staff can usually take care of it. You might be able to do it over the phone as well. From what I understand, it's just a matter of changing some info on the Verizon end, the whole process takes about 15 min.