Can any COLOR composite monitors show IIe in MONOCHROME??

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by IIeBoy, Dec 16, 2014.

1. IIeBoy macrumors member

IIeBoy

I'm looking to use one color composite monitor for the retro computing room, with 3 computers:
    • Apple //e
    • Commodore Amiga
    • Commodore 64
    The latter two I want in color, however the Apple //e I'd like to only work in monochrome green, for nostalgia purposes.

Do you know of any old color composite monitors that have a "green monochrome" option you can flick into? I'm thinking of using something like an Apple Color Monitor IIe, or a Commodore 1702.

Or perhaps the Apple can emulate this somehow by only outputting monochrome/green?

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I don't know of any simple way to do that - maybe a green gel (overlay sheet) over the CRT when in monochrome (white) mode? :D

Other than that, most RGB displays that use sync-on-green can take a green-only signal, but I don't know how you'd make a IIe do that, only the IIc and IIgs have RGB outputs in the A2 line. Then again, most RGB displays, when they only get a green signal, know it's monochrome and turn it to white, as well...

3. IIeBoy thread starter macrumors member

IIeBoy

Apparently the Commodore 1084S-P2 and Phillips CM-8833ii have a green switch! I'm looking on eBay for them now :)

4. csixty4 macrumors regular

Magnavox "Color Monitor 40" has a green mode switch as well.

5. IIeBoy thread starter macrumors member

IIeBoy

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

7. harrymatic macrumors 6502

The Philips CM8833 original does as well - shame you aren't in the UK, I'm trying to get rid of mine at the moment! Off topic, but it's the exact same tube and circuitry as in the Commodore and Magnavox monitors, which are rebadged variants of this monitor.

8. IIeBoy thread starter macrumors member

IIeBoy

9. tdiaz macrumors 6502

The Apple branded composite monitors for the //e also have a 'white' switch, so it switches to monochrome, just not green. Primarily intended for 80 column text viewing.

10. IIeBoy thread starter macrumors member

IIeBoy