Can Anybody Recommend a Great VPN? (Preferably Free?)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HappyDude20, Apr 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68030

HappyDude20

Hello all,

I’m looking for a VPN to install to my new MBP. I feel like every other YouTube video has an influencer recommend another VPN service and I don’t know which to trust.

Obviously one that is fast and reliable are preferred. Free would be spectacular.

2. Zenithal macrumors 604

If it's free it's slow or they leach data from you. I like PIA myself. It's fairly cheap. You can peruse the net for sales codes. They'll probably have an Easter sale.

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68030

HappyDude20

Checking it out. $80 for 2 years doesn’t seem bad at all. I’ll download the app right now but will hold off on buying a subscription in case they do offer an easter sale as you suggested.

4. theapplehead macrumors 6502

theapplehead

I use Proton VPN on all my devices. They offer a free and paid service. The free service has ZERO ads, however it operates on slower speeds. Proton VPN is based in Switzerland which is a nation with a significant amount of internet privacy (more than that of the US). It also supports p2p and Tor.

Good luck!

5. Zenithal macrumors 604

Whoah, yes, $80 is too much for 2 years. Definitely wait for a sale or look for codes. NordVPN is good, too, but despite their name they are Panama based, IIRC.

I like PIA despite it being an American company. Admittedly, they have proven in court they don't log, and even if the articles were sponsored by them in some form, a court is a court, and if you don't have logs, then that's sticking to your priorities. If you do get PIA, I suggest reading up how to set up the VPN on your computer because sometimes one method is faster than the other; setting up the VPN in a browser over their app.

6. maxjohnson2 macrumors regular

This is one case where you get what you pay for. If it's free, it could mean they use your data for at least for marketing reason.

I personally use PIA which is fast and reliable. I heard good things about NordVPN.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

8. Tech198 macrumors G5

There is really no such thing as a great free VPN... You pay for for better service.. even if its only a few dollars.

If people want free, then you get what you deserve. PIA IS based in the U.S after all. But i havana't use any that were free.

9. HEALER FLAME macrumors 6502

HEALER FLAME

Bitdefender is a paid app but all in one. Its got anti virus, vpn, cleaner..etc...

10. stubeeef, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019

stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Thanks, looking at PIA, but which way is better to set up? Not done any of this yet.

is PIA only iOS? doesnt list laptops or desktops unless I missed it.

11. steve23094 macrumors 68020

steve23094

12. Nigel Goodman macrumors member

Nigel Goodman

2nd vote for Proton VPN. For all the reasons stated. I use the basic paid version which is more than adequate.

13. Gravydog316 macrumors 6502

Gravydog316

I need something just so I can watch stuff here in Canada.
    Even previews of tv shows on YouTube are now getting blocked "Not Available in Your Country"

Like, really?! I can't even watch clips of Conan on YouTube anymore!!

(what i want to watch now is Dark Side of the Ring from VICE (since i used to rassle, but nope)

is there something besides VPN I can use??
    sooo stupid