Can anyone confirm/deny that a 13'' base MBP lags on a TB display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Star Nuts, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Star Nuts macrumors member

I heard it does, then it doesn't, in another topic.

2. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

2011 Macbook Pro 13" 16GB RAM and no lag from Thunderbolt display.

What are these people doing that report lag though?

3. Fed macrumors 6502

That's good news. I spotted this thread before and got a little worried. Do you extend the screen from the MBP display to the TB display? No noticeable lag or problem on highest resolution?

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Currently using a 13" on DVI-->TB with no lag problems, can't confirm on a direct TB connection.

5. sno1man macrumors regular

Moving browser windows back and forth like Jon Stewart does with his pen on his notes at the beginning of the daily show....

But actually using the computer to do real things, I can confirm that there is no "lag" and this is with an i5 version with 8GB RAM

6. spoonie1972 macrumors 6502a

Heh. it matters when you're syncing music to picture!

my LG tv's have huge latency. some sony's are worse.

the best once i've come across is a panasonic veira - cant remember model #.

7. sno1man, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012

sno1man macrumors regular

Audio/video sync (which is what you are talking about) is a different issue. Agreed that the Panasonics tend to be better in this regard ,but it's all in the TV.

That's why AV receivers have adjustable delay to help match audio and video.

What I think he is referring to is the less than liquid like (or lack thereof) appearance of the UI doing certain things. The RMBP threads are full of this type of discussion. So are any android forums :)

EDIT: Latency is another separate issue common with consoles and TVs where even small delays in processing the image can lead to late reactions in a fast action game. I.E it's already too late when the gamer pushes the fire button....