Can anyone diagnose this iPhone 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by awesomest47, Mar 30, 2013.

1. awesomest47 macrumors member

So I bought an iPhone 3GS on eBay but didn't read the seller's full description.... It doesn't exactly work 100% What is the problem with it? Here is the description

Read the description well!!! This phone is practically new and has been sitting in my drawer since I bought it. I did something wrong while unlocking it and now it doesn't work anymore. It powers on and you can use the preinstalled apps and listen to music or watch videos, but he WiFi doesn't work and it keeps restarting. I also can't use it to make calls. I don't know how to fix it, so I'd rather get some cash than just let it sit. If anything, you get brand new body, screen, glass, ports, speaker, buttons, and board. It also comes in the original box and the charger. I might include the headphones if I find them. Feel free to ask questions.

Thank you!!

2. iPhoneTech macrumors newbie

What's the baseband of the phone? (Settings -> General -> About), also does the top left corner say "NO SIM" or does it say searching when there isn't a SIM card in the phone?

3. awesomest47 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the interest iPhonetech! I contacted the seller with your questions and he provided this:

I don't remember exactly, but I think the baseband was 5.16.5. As for the top left corner I am not very sure but I think it it was saying searching. I haven't touched the phone in a while and it will take me sometimes to recharge it. I think when my friend tried to fix it last time he put it in recovery mode, but that's all I remember.

Can you provide any insight? Thank you!!

4. b0bab0i macrumors regular

Is wifi/ Bluetooth greyed out?
    Seems like you bought a phone with a fried baseband, which means the phone is bricked.

Newer iPhone 3GS made after week 36 of 2011 changed the baseband chip and they aren't able to install ipad baseband 6.15.00. Once you try, it destroys baseband chip.