Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Can anyone recommend a good DVD Ripper?

Donnation

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 2, 2014
I can't get Handbrake to work on most of my DVD's and I'm trying a to get rid of my physical collection. Does anyone have a good program to recommend for ripping them? Thanks!

Reactions: jpn

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
I've been using Mac DVD Ripper Pro for years and it does an excellent job handling anything except Bluray. Work on OSs through Mojave and has a 5 instance free trial.

Reactions: jpn
Comment

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I use MakeMKV. It doesn't (at least I can't figure it out) result in a VIDEO_TS folder, rather you get a full quality MKV file. If you want to turn that into a m4v file, Handbrake can convert the MKV for you.

Otherwise, just use a player that can play MKV files and you're golden. Saves time too since your Mac won't be doing any encoding.

Comment

Sedulous

Contributor
Dec 10, 2002
I use MakeMKV. It doesn't (at least I can't figure it out) result in a VIDEO_TS folder, rather you get a full quality MKV file. If you want to turn that into a m4v file, Handbrake can convert the MKV for you.

Otherwise, just use a player that can play MKV files and you're golden. Saves time too since your Mac won't be doing any encoding.
It might not be necessary to re-encode the MKV using handbrake. The MKV probably is h.264 that could just be remuxed (not lossy or slow like re-encoding) using something like Subler.

Reactions: Mr Todhunter
Comment

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
MakeMKV -> Handbrake.

Handbrake can't bypass DVD DRM out of the box, but MakeMKV can. You can also install libdvdcss so Handbrake can do so.

It might not be necessary to re-encode the MKV using handbrake. The MKV probably is h.264 that could just be remuxed (not lossy or slow like re-encoding) using something like Subler.
MakeMKV does a bit for bit rip, and all DVD's are in MPEG-2, and not h.264.

Reactions: ftaok
Comment

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
This might work for Bluray rips that that use h264. The OP is ripping DVDs, which would result in an MKV file that is encoded in MPEG-2. You'd still need Handbrake to encode it to an h264/m4v file.

Comment

Sedulous

Contributor
Dec 10, 2002
MakeMKV -> Handbrake.

Handbrake can't bypass DVD DRM out of the box, but MakeMKV can. You can also install libdvdcss so Handbrake can do so.
MakeMKV does a bit for bit rip, and all DVD's are in MPEG-2, and not h.264.

This might work for Bluray rips that that use h264. The OP is ripping DVDs, which would result in an MKV file that is encoded in MPEG-2. You'd still need Handbrake to encode it to an h264/m4v file.

Correct. DVD uses MPEG2 + encryption. This could not be simply re-muxed in MP4. DVDFab or MakeMKV to remove encryption/copy protection then transcode using Handbrake.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.