Can anyone see if they have the same issue on their MBP or RMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alyshehata, Sep 30, 2012.

1. alyshehata macrumors member

http://youtu.be/AtZFjUTD1ps

TLDW: Bottom part of the trackpad not responsive when I move my finger from left to right. Works when its in any other direction. Software or Hardware?

2. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Yeah if only have half my finger running down the bottom of it nothing moves but it'll move in all the other direction when replicating the same thing

3. alyshehata thread starter macrumors member

guessing it could be a feature for people who like to keep their thumbs down there? I don't know, but it bothers me sometimes because I use the bottom part most of the time. Thanks for the reply though

4. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

However my entire finger on the bottom it'll work. It only replicates the problem that you stated when only half of it is on it. So I'm not sure if you had the problem when you actually have a finger on the trackpad.

EDIT: ALSO I own the Apple Magic Trackpad and even then it won't work on the bottom part with half a finger running across it.

5. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

I'm pretty sure it's the palm detection algorithms at work here. A lot of trackpads have similar features built in to distinguish between an actual fingertip and accidentally placing one's palm on the trackpad. It also seems to only happen when my finger is straddling the bottom of the trackpad and the body of the notebook - if I move my finger up 1/8 inch, the symptom goes away.