Can anyone share pics of a mbp 15-inch screen on a LG UltraFine 4K 23.7-inch screen?

TinaBelcher

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
I'm considering getting the LG UltraFine 4K was 23.7-inch monitor, because I can't stand looking down on my mbp on my desk. I miss having a larger screen to look up at and the freedom of viewing more. However, I don't want to buy a monitor and then my mbp looking like a scaled up mess on the 23.7-inch screen! When connected, does the LG UltraFine 4K show an extended screen, or is just my 15-inch mbp that has been scaled up on a 23.7 inch screen?

Please, if you can provide some answers and pictures I'd be very grateful

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Midwest US
I moved from a 27” 5K iMac with a Thunderbolt Display to my 2016 15” MacBook Pro and the LG 24” display. The 4K is an extended screen; the Arrangement feature in the System Preferences Display panel lets you use the 24” as your main display.

Other than the occasional failure to wake from an overnight logout, I’ve been pleased with the LG display. I did buy the Apple Thunderbolt 3 cable to replace the LG-supplied cable, which has cut the wake-up failure to about once per week.

Attachments

Last edited:

Stephen.R

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
However, I don't want to buy a monitor and then my mbp looking like a scaled up mess on the 23.7-inch screen!
Unless you enable display mirroring (off by default) each display will work independently, and together forms an extended desktop space.

Each display can have its own resolution/rotation/colour profile etc, and it's own Spaces configuration.

To give you a better idea, I switched my Dell P2415Q's (24" 4K's) from my 2018 Mac mini into my 2018 MBP15, and took a photo (please excuse the graininess of the photo and the mess!)

Note that because the MBP15's built-in screen is higher-PPI than the Dell (or the LG), at the 'default' setting, things will appear larger on the desktop monitors. The GPU in the MBP15 will easily handle using one of the higher 'scaled' resolutions (I like 2304x1296 as this size, but it's definitely a user preference thing).

Attachments

lifeisepic

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2013
UK
I moved from a 27” 5K iMac with a Thunderbolt Display to my 2016 15” MacBook Pro and the LG 24” display. The 4K is an extended screen; the Arrangement feature in the System Preferences Display panel lets you use the 24” as your main display.

Other than the occasional failure to wake from an overnight logout, I’ve been pleased with the LG display. I did buy the Apple Thunderbolt 3 cable to replace the LG-supplied cable, which has cut the wake-up failure to about once per week.
How does the 4K compare to the 5k in terms of how sharp things look? The 4K I think has a 184ppi and 5k is 219ppi. Did you notice a the drop in quality ?

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Midwest US
How does the 4K compare to the 5k in terms of how sharp things look? The 4K I think has a 184ppi and 5k is 219ppi. Did you notice a the drop in quality ?
The drop in quality is very slight, offset by the slightly smaller dimensions of the actual display. Hard to quantify, obviously, but I’d say the definition is probably 90% of the 5K iMac.