Can anyone stop iTunes 8 from blocking the installation of iPhone Apps on the Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pismodude2, Sep 18, 2008.

1. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Facts:

1. The new iPod Touch has external microphone capabilities.

2. Most microphone utilizing apps are labeled by the developers as iPhone only.

3. iTunes 8 has security that old versions didn't, stopping you from installing 'iPhone only' (mis)labeled apps.

Question:

Can anyone think of any way to bypass that security?

Thanks

Oh, and note that old versions of iTunes will not work with the 2g iPod Touch. :(

2. Amt macrumors regular

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Nope. All you can do is request that the developer change the apps meta-data and resubmit.

TEG

4. pismodude2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Already done, I mailed:

Midomi

Shazam

Evernote

Younote

Voicenotes

I just recieved a response from Midomi, who says they are aware of the new Touch's microphone and are working on making their app available for it.

Nice to know someone out there cares, huh? :) (Midomi is a music recognition app)

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

However it will be difficult to use Midomi or Shazam with the iPod Mic considering they use the mic on the iPhone to grab sound from the air, and I doubt that the iPod mic is strong enough to give enough fidelity for them to work.

TEG

6. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

It does seem to have those capabilities, but this is clearly not a feature that Apple are highlighting/promoting/supporting right now as it is not mentioned anywhere in the tech specs or feature overview. I'm guessing that until Apple make this an official feature, many of the apps that you list won't be approved for ipod touch use (hope I'm wrong though!)

7. pismodude2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

I can use my headset mic. to pick up music from across a room and play it back at the same volume, so it definitely is sensitive enough. Watch this video- http://pismodude.com/Mic4.mov :D

(That actually isn't from across an entire room from the music, but it is definitely far enough away that you could be sitting comfortably nearby without having to move to make it work properly)

Edit: you can record music at a reasonable volume from across a room (20ft), but if there is a lot of background noise you can't hear it as well. However, I used to have an iPhone, and I know that it didn't fair much better. I'd say that it was about the same, maybe a bit louder on the iPhone for playback, but that could just be speaker volume difference.

There are already two that work out though- Spectrum and Palringo IM, and the latter actually lets you record/playback in the IM chat window (so almost VoIP!)!

Video of Palringo + iPod Touch in action: http://pismodude.com/Mic4.mov