iPhone XR Can anyone tell me about getting an iPhone at the apple store? (Compared to carrier)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AdventurousJosh, Oct 28, 2018.

1. AdventurousJosh macrumors 6502

hello,

I’m looking at getting a new iPhone XR, I’d like to switch from Verizon to t mobile but my credit sucks, I contacted t Mobil support and got a down payment requirement of $222. Does anyone know of has anyone tested estimates from carriers and apples own in store credit check, and can you tell me the differences, if there was any?

Thanks a lot for any advice,

Josh

2. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

Credit checking is normally done by looking at your credit score as supplied by the three credit bureaus here in the US. Apple is going to see your credit worthiness the same as Verizon, T-Mobile, etc. I usually buy my iPhones using one of my credit cards that I have and pay it off that way. Most credit cards also give you additional warranty protection.

The bottom line is if you have bad credit, it's going to show up whether you buy from T-Mobile or Apple. I frankly do not know what Apple would require in the way of a down payment but I suspect it will be similar.

3. AdventurousJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome thanks. Has anyone traded in a phone with apple? And if so, has anyone applied the trade in value for the down payment?

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Buy in full, which does away with credit check in your case.

5. Zagor13 macrumors member

always better buy in one shot; if dont have resources save slowly and buy always in on eshot; you won it and not stock with any company can leave them any time you want plus again you own the phone and long term pay less as when you subsidize will pay higher taxes each month bill, higher bills overall and comapnies will milk it with various techniques to make you pay for tha tphone two times its actually worth it

6. AdventurousJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

T mobile doesn’t tack in hidden fees and the money payment is only $14 a month.

7. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

I've been with T-Mobile now for years and have purchased phones from them on a monthly payment plan. As long as you stay with T-Mobile they normally do not charge a credit fee. I can remember when carriers would charge an activation fee, sometimes as much as $35, but T-Mobile always waved the fee for me. Right now we are on the Senior Plan where we only pay $60/month for unlimited talk, text, and data. (That's for two lines.)