Can anyone tell me how I can use volume controls when connected to a monitor?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by slingshott, Apr 24, 2017.

1. slingshott macrumors member

slingshott

I'm using an old TV screen as a monitor for my MBP and it's working great. The only thing that's frustrating is that I can't control the volume from the keyboard meaning I have to flick back and forth between iTunes. Is there anyway to do this?

2. winmaciek macrumors newbie

winmaciek

Press Alt+F12 (volume up). Preferences window will open. At the bottom there's an option to show volume on the menu bar. Maybe that'll be helpful.

3. slingshott thread starter macrumors member

slingshott

Thanks for the reply but I already have it showing and it's greyed out. There must be a way to do this surely?

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Your choice is probably the volume on the TV, as HDMI to a display detected as a TV may provide audio to the TV, but controlling the TV volume is not available from your Mac.
    It may be the version of HDMI used on the TV, although you could try a different HDMI cable that supports at least HDMI version 1.3 - but that also assumes that your TV supports that version, too. An older TV may simply not support external audio control.

5. slingshott thread starter macrumors member

slingshott

Very insightful, thanks. It is a fairly old TV (maybe 8ish years) so that would make sense. I'm going to try a different cable as you suggested and see if that works. I was hoping to buy a wireless keyboard and trackpad but will definitely wait until I get to the bottom of it.