Can Anyone Tell Me What Happened Here & How to Fix It???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VideoNewbie, Dec 7, 2011.

1. VideoNewbie macrumors 6502

Okay so the other day my mom was asking me why her phone's programs are identical to my dad's programs and im guessing what happened was my mom & dad have been downloading apps to their new iphones under one itunes account and everytime they plug their phone into their computers it syncs everything to match?

What i am gonna do this weekend is help my mom create her own itunes account but im confused as to how the whole syncing thing works...

1.)
    if i create a new account for her will i have to restore her phone to default before doing so? is there any way to retain all her current settings photos programs etc. ??

2.)
    i want my parents to be able to plug their phone into the same computer without the computer trying to sync all their stuff and make their programs match (which is what its currently doing)...how would i go about setting this up???

2. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

You can't share apps between accounts they're going to have to pay for them all over again.

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I'd suggest leaving them as-is so that they can share apps that they want to without buying them twice - but turn off Settings - Store - Apps so that they don't automatically get whatever apps the other one purchases (they can manually load the app onto both phones without extra fee if they want to). This is how my wife & I handle our phones.

4. dave420 macrumors 65816

Yea you don't want to create another account. It sounds like they are syncing with iTunes on the same computer. That can cause the behavior you described. I get around this issue by creating separate user accounts on the computer. Then the devices can sync with different iTunes libraries, and they won't share anymore. It will still be tricky the first time because the phone is already synced with another library, but you can get around that.
    I believe there is a solution without using separate computer user accounts as well, but I find multiple accounts to be the easiest. The actual iTunes account will still be the same though.

5. VideoNewbie, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011

VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

6. SporkLover macrumors 6502

Turn off the settings in iTunes to automatically syncing new apps to all iDevices.

Turn off the settings on the phone to auto download newly purchased from app store.

7. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

huh? how would this solve my dilemma?

even if i turned auto syncing and auto downloading off , itunes would still do the same thing (deleting apps) when i eventually manually sync the phone or when i manually download apps on the iphone through itunes.

im sorry if im confusing anyone let me try to articulate my question better.

what i want to do is this:

my mom & dad live in northern california. my mom is visiting me for the weekend down here in southern california and i want to help arrange her phone and help her download some apps.

i will be using my own computer to do this. i cant use the itunes account under the admin user tab on my computer because that is the itunes account that i use and in doing so it would erase all her apps and make her phone mirror the apps on mine....i cant use the itunes account under a new computer account either because it would erase all her apps and leave her with nothing (since the itunes account on the new user account would be a complete clean slate)

so what do i do? how can i help my mom arrange/download apps so that when she goes home she can still connect to the computer at home and retain all of the apps and settings ive made for her?

my worry is that if i spend all this time setting up the phone for her, downloading apps, organizing her apps into folders etc. that as soon as she goes home and tries to connect the iphone to the home computer to sync or back up that it will make her delete all the new apps on her phone to try and mirror whatever apps are on the itunes program on the home computer.

8. JAT macrumors 603

Just do it on the phone. And maybe teach her what to do on the computer so she doesn't mess it up.

9. SporkLover macrumors 6502

You said......

and.........

You don't have to setup a second iTunes account if you turn off the auto sync features for the phone and itunes. You only drag and drop the programs you want to use on each phone. I used to have the problem of having programs I downloaded to my ipad or ipad 2 on each other, or onto my iphone, turn it off and you dont have to worry about it.

As long as the iphones are uniquely named in itunes, everything should work ok.

10. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I'm sorry but I love your username. Brings back a lot of random spork fights with me and my 'pals. :p

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Definitely don't set it up on your machine. As soon as she plugs it in to her machine, it'll want to erase everything.

Not only disable the function on the phone to automatically download apps over-the-air that are purchased on other devices, but turn off automatic app syncing in iTunes (Summary tab when the phone itself is plugged in via USB).

Make sure each phone as a unique name ("Dad's phone", "Mom's phone") in iTunes.

Making separate accounts will just force the user of the new account to rebuy all the apps, videos, etc.

12. VideoNewbie, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011

VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

guys,

i did all this but im not understanding the remedy of "just give the phone a unique name"

i did this but all the apps are greyed out
    ?????
    [​IMG]
    (note the above image is just a sample not an actual screen shot of the current apps on the phone..just using it to illustrate what the greyed out appearance looks like)

how can i re-arrange or download new apps to her phone in this condition?
    the only thing it will let me do is "sync apps" and if i do so it will erase all her current apps with my apps in my itunes

also as you can see there are two news stand app icons is this a bug? how do i get rid of it?

13. SporkLover macrumors 6502

If you are trying to manage the iphone from your computer, rather than it's home computer, you won't be able to manage the apps.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Make sure your parents have separate iCloud accounts set up on the device and disable auto-download of applications on both devices.

15. CmdrThor macrumors member

This is completely false. You can share apps between accounts within a household with Home Sharing.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3819

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It clearly says in the KB article that you can only share items between computers using the same account.

17. CmdrThor macrumors member

You have to use 1 account to do the transfer, but that doesn't have to be the account you use normally on the device. Read the legal terms for iTunes app, music, etc purchases. The license is for something like up to 5 people within a household.

http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/us/terms.html

18. G-hog macrumors member

Not true. My wife and I have our own accounts and we share apps (paid and free) all the time.