Can anyone tell me why some wav files work on iPhone and some dont?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rbtrucking, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Rbtrucking macrumors member

Title says it all. I like to rip my CD's to raw wav file and transfer them right to the iPhone but I've noticed that for some reason it just wont accept some. For instance I'll rip a CD, add it to my library and when I go to sync song's 1-6 and 9-12 will work but some random songs just wont transfer for some reason, and it seems to be completely random with which ones it will accept.

Any ideas?

2. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

If you can use some software to actually look a bit deeper into those wave files, some may not regular PCM format wave files. For example: one of my hires wave files is not regular PCM but something like "wave3" which I have no idea about that type of file.

Also, ALAC is lossless coding format. Converting your wave into that format could potentially save a lot of space on your device.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I was just going to say the same.
    Converting them to MP3 will give you good quality and way less storage space taken up.

4. Rbtrucking thread starter macrumors member

The thing about that is sometimes the same song will transfer fine but then on another occasion I just cant get it to transfer and it's the same file that transferred fine before.

I like having the absolute best quality possible with certain songs.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Interesting, I'm not that picky with audio especially listening to music via a cellphone.
    What is the bitrate Kbps that you use and couldn't an MP3 converter match it?

6. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

For example, ~6000kbps blu-ray audio? And what about 24bit/96kHz Hires music? MP3 converter just double down the quality to a noticeable Low level. Heck, 24bit/96kHz cannot be played on iPhone stock music app anyway.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 21, 2017 ---
    I had the same problem when transferring my lossless collections before but right now it is more caused by mysteriously missing files than the fact of lossless format.