Can anyone use full Retina Scaling comfortably?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by StuMcBill, Jun 29, 2012.

1. StuMcBill macrumors 6502

Can anyone use the full Scaled desktop (1920x1200) comfortably?

I have 20/20 vision and I find the text on Chrome Canary & YoruFukurou (both Retina Optimised) a bit small? I love the extra screen real estate, but I just find the text a bit small.

Is there anyway I can change this globally (in OSX) or does it have to be done on an App by App basis?

Cheers

Stewart

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The higher the resolution the smaller text gets. That is true whether it's Retina or not. It's why Apple doesn't ship the RMBP at that resolution. It's great for graphics but not for any work that involves reading or writing.

3. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

Its funny as I started off at best for retina when I got my RMBP, I then quickly tried out the two higher ones and my first impressions was that the 1920x1200 was not useable but the 2nd highest might be. I started using the second highest setting for a day or so and was happy with that while sitting on the couch with the laptop on my lap at almost 2ft viewing distance. However, I then had the laptop on a desk at work and was sitting at a bout 1ft from the screen and switched it over to 1920x1200 and that felt okay. I'm now using it at 1920x1200 most of the time. I even switch it to 2880x1800 to use LR4 so that my image uses the native pixels and 100% view shows a lot more of the image just like Aperture does natively. For anything else 2880x1800 is unusable but I can just manage the adjustments in LR at that resolution. But going back to your question, yes the highest 1920x1200 is useable if you are sitting under 2 ft from the screen. IMHO:)