Can anyone work out what's going on here?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 938092, Dec 16, 2015.

1. 938092 Suspended

So after a while, my 2015 MacBook Pro's screen was looking like this: http://i.imgur.com/3CN7DJy.jpg

I assumed its because it was somehow touching the keyboard and scratching the display so I took it to apple who replaced the display.

A few days after I had it replaced, I noticed a dead-pixel like thing on the screen but it turns out it was actually like a small dent in the display as you could see it when the display was off. I suspected a grain of something had been on top of the keyboard and was still pressing against the display when it closed but the genius said it could have been a screen fault and replaced the display again anyway.

Now, two weeks later, with another new display, I've noticed the dreaded scratches starting to appear on the display. Currently I can only see them under a bright light or when the display is off but I know it will progress and get worse and worse.

This is how it is now:
    Normal: http://i.imgur.com/jmKOmNM.jpg
    Closeup: http://i.imgur.com/usjQugx.jpg

I can see it's starting to develop again. I'm planning on taking it back again soon with a torch to show them but another display replacement evidently won't fix it so what other course of action should I take?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

You probably have a very dirty keyboard and carry the machine in a way that causes pressure on the screen.

3. 938092 thread starter Suspended

On the contrary, they keyboard is spotless, I always make sure it's clean before I put down the lid, and since the second display replacement, the laptop has not left my desk and has had nothing placed on top of it.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Marks don't appear out of nowhere, I have a hard time believing nothing has been rubbing against that screen.

5. 938092 thread starter Suspended

That's why I'm pretty sure it's the keys. Considering the lines are perfectly in line with them.

6. stevey500 macrumors 6502

I'm willing to bet that the batteries have swelled and the keyboard is making abnormally high pressure contact with the LCD glass. Does that sound like a possibility?

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Another method that I use:
    Apple would tell you that you shouldn't place anything inside the closed lid. I disagree.
    Remember that thin sheet of white "foam" that was inside the lid when you originally took it new out of the box?
    I keep a plain sheet of printer paper, cut down to approximately the size of the screen. I lay it across the keyboard before closing the lid.
    The oil from your fingers cannot not transfer to the screen now (yes, that's part of the issue), and even if a key or two can touch the screen, there's never any direct contact because of the paper layer between the keys and the display glass.

8. 938092 thread starter Suspended

You'd think it would be easy to notice and that they would have picked up on that within the two display replacements?

I understand what you're saying but I'm not willing to make a compromise considering the screen is already damaged again and it will only continue. It shouldn't be happening in the first place.

9. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Really?
    You really think that placing a protective sheet between the keyboard and the screen is some type of "compromise?", or a work-around?
    Typically the issue is first caused by transfer of finger oils from the keycaps to the screen. There is, as you can see, a tight clearance between the keycaps and the screen.
    The sheet between the keyboard and screen will prevent (effectively) the transfer of finger dirt/oil to the screen.

I have seen dozens of screens with your issue over the years.
    Cleaning (soft cloth slightly dampened with plain water) _usually_ clears the apparent "damage" on the screen, particularly on one less than a few months old, such as yours.
    It would also help if you tried cleaning the screen _before_ you take your pictures!
    All of your screen pictures show numerous fingerprints, and other smears on the screen.

Don't stop reading yet! If yours is one of the unusual ones where the keycaps are actually contacting the screen, then take to your local "genius", mention this is your third time back, and it's likely the replacement display is not helping.
    So, you ask "Will you replace the keyboard this time?"

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

3 times with the same problem they may well replace the whole machine.

11. 938092 thread starter Suspended

Yes, I do. Apple recommend that you do not place ANYTHING in between the screen and the keyboard, and I do not intend to bother myself with having to place a cloth of piece of paper in between every time I close my $2.5k laptop.

This has been suggested elsewhere and I don't think it's the case. Last night, I wiped the screen down (got rid of the scratch marks), made sure everything was spotless including the keyboard as you can see in this album here: http://imgur.com/a/GgnXl

This morning I wake up and check it and guess what? The marks are back from the exact same place: http://i.imgur.com/UqLkNac.jpg

I don't think this is caused by something I'm doing. I left it out on my desk overnight with nothing on top of it in no case and it happened in that space of time.

I guess so, but as said earlier, I shouldn't have to be putting a sheet of paper in between my keyboard and display just to stop it scratching!

I've checked a few mates rMBP's; all of them have oil, grime and dust all over them as they don't treat them the best, but not one scratch or mark on the display that would be caused from the keyboard...

I've had the display replaced twice, but I'm hoping they might :)

12. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

The hinge may be misaligned or there may be any other mechanical dimensional issue there, so when it's close there is interference with the keys.
    Ask for a new Mac or have them look into the other components.

13. 938092 thread starter Suspended

Can you really ask for a new one? Even if the device was not originally purchased from the apple store?

14. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

you have nothing to loose when asking them, if it is still under warranty or with apple care or you paid for the repair, you have the right to get it working properly.
    It may be easier for them to give you a new one instead of continue the parts swapping parade