Can Apple *actually* tell that I jailbroke my phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stoopkitty, May 6, 2011.

1. stoopkitty macrumors member

so i know everyone always says that apple cant actually tell that you jailbreak you phone if you just restore it, but is this actually true?

i want to know because my home button has been finicky (it sometimes doesnt work), and since I have a warranty i want to make sure that apple will still service the phone if it dies completely.

now i know all of the crazy super pro-jailbreak people will come and be like "no there is absolutely no way that they will be able to tell of course blah blah blah" but does anyone actually know this for certain (proof?)

it seems like they would be able to check some log or something and it will look like you have not used your phone for like a month or however long you had it jailbroken and they will figure it out. or it seems like they would have some other way to detect this. they are apple and they are crazy opposed to jailbreaking so are you completly sure that there is no way they can tell? i really want to jailbreak because it is awesome but i bought the warranty and since my home button might break i want to make sure it will still be covered.

2. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Restore the phone before you take it to apple
    Restore wipes jailbreak and returns to factory settings leaving no traces of jailbreak. 100% safe

3. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

I don't know specifically about the jailbreak but I'm guessing that if you go in to the Apple store for your broken home button, they will give you a different phone (refurb).

That may make this a moot question.

4. stoopkitty thread starter macrumors member

well i would go in right now but it is not broken right now, it is kind of on and off. oh well, i think i'm just going to do it and if i get screwed i'll buy the 3GS

5. kre62 macrumors 68000

When the guy goes to get your new phone just say "hey man can you do me a favor? No 5K?". He'll get it. Worked for me last night. Got a nie new non-refurb phone.

6. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

Just restore your phone before you take it back, and you'll be fine.