Can Apple or T-Mobile track a stolen iPhone 3GS on T-Mobile Service?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Krishna21, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krishna21 macrumors member

Hypothetically speaking, if someone found an iPhone, took it, cut up the SIM card to prevent tracking, then jailbreaked it and unlocked it, and that person hypothetically uses it on T-Mobile Service with a Tmobile SIM, can Apple or T-mobile track the hypothetically stolen iPhone? :eek:

2. Krishna21 thread starter macrumors member

Hypothetically speaking, if I was the person with the iPhone, hypothetically, is there anything I can hypothetically do to prevent the phone being tracked?

3. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Just return the phone...

... and buy your own. :rolleyes:

4. Krishna21 thread starter macrumors member

Well, hypothetically when the person got it, what if they hypothetically hacktivated it with redsn0w .9.6b5?

And can Apple or T-Mobile track the phone if there is absolutely no SIM Card?
    And if they can via IMEI and they block it, and the perpetrator hacktivates the phone without the SIM, can Apple/T-Mobile block it?

5. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Att and apple in the us don't block imei numbers so thats irrelevant.

6. STravisC macrumors regular

Just return the phone because we already know its not yours okay? OKAY!

7. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

Just give the phone back, man....
    the real Krishna would have...

8. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

The Apple police are tracking you now. Be prepared for a knock on the door.

9. Krishna21 thread starter macrumors member

Lol.
    -Sees Apple Mobile-

But..
    but..
    So Apple can track it no matter what?

10. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

The iPhone can only be tracked if it's been reported stolen by the orignal owner. If mobile-me is set up on the iPhone, the true owner of it can also track it down.

11. Krishna21 thread starter macrumors member

*Sigh*
    Hypothetically speaking, I think the iPhone is trash.

Hypothetically speaking, if I were the owner, I would go throw it away and wipe the fingerprints off............

12. noiceT macrumors 6502a

omg...just return the phone already, seriously.

Do something good on this Christmas Eve~

Feel good about yourself, rather than being sketch and asking multiple times, "no but hypothetically..."

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, they cant track it and wont blacklist it.

14. Krishna21 thread starter macrumors member

Hypothetically the person would return it if they know whose it was, the device name could've been "iPhone" and they could've found it on the street.

Hypothetically they might think to go on Craigslist and say they found it but there are people who would do anything for a free iPhone.

Hypothetically, they might address the post hypothetically in case any law officials are watching, so they can not accuse the poster because they have no proof they are the perpetrator.

Oh yeah, hypothetically, the person JUST MIGHT'VE donated over $1000 to his local Cancer Donation Center TODAY ON CHRISTMAS EVE AT 12PM AFTERNOON.

Happy Holidays guys!

15. noiceT macrumors 6502a

If you actually have a cashflow that enables you to donate $1000 to charity, then why are you mulling over what to do with a measly iphone 3gs that you found off the street..?

And of course you don't know the name of the owner who's iphone you found (no one puts their full name in the device name). PURE LOGIC, would say why not call phone numbers in the recent calls section, if you really wanted to get the phone back to the owner.

16. crazytiger86, Dec 24, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2010

crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

If you had over $1000 to donate (we'll say $1001) couldnt you just afford to buy your own phone instead of lifting one off the sidewalk. But since that part is "hypothetical" we'll assume it isnt true.

You can turn in the phone at a local police station....You can always turn in lost or found property into a police station. If after 90 days, it goes unclaimed, its yours fair and square.

Assuming you believe in Krishna, you should know your religion isnt one of deeds. I.e. You cannot perform one bad deed and then perform a good deed and then expect to be all 'squared up' in the books. I dont think any religion operates this way.

Also, hypothetically speaking, if you didnt have anything to hide, you wouldnt have to start your post with "hypothetically". Hypothetically speaking, if youre conscience was as clear as you (or "your hypothetically self") claim it to be you would not have "cut up the sim to prevent tracking". Your post also wouldn't need to be prefaced with ";)". You also wouldnt hypothetically be hiding from the police or law enforcement.

You think life's a bitch, wait until you meet her ugly sister, karma...

17. Krishna21 thread starter macrumors member

I already have my own phone guys.
    I was driving and saw this on the sidewalk.

Prevent tracking, of course. I'd be pretty scared if the cops barged in saying I stole an iPhone, and I know they wouldn't believe I found it. So I cut up the SIM. I wanted to see if it could be used or not.
    Also, never did I say life's a bitch.

I just find it aggravating how you all are thinking I'm some cold-hearted prick for trying to use an iPhone that someone left on the ground.

18. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

If the person does use MobileMe, it can be tracked, if apple are asked by police, they will give the location out.

19. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Or here's an idea, turn it into the police station instead of worrying about whether or not it can be tracked. :)

20. Krishna21 thread starter macrumors member

Just did
    :)

happy holidays!

21. Weiser878 macrumors regular

Whenever I've found a cell phone (which is a lot since I work in a bar), I usually just go through the text messages and text the last person they had a convo with. Same goes for recent call lists.

With an iPhone, there's usually facebook that's logged in and you can send a message that way and hope they'll check it from a computer

22. STravisC macrumors regular

Doubt it!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.