Can Apple port a Sprint/Verizon/T-Mobile number when purchasing new iPhone in store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vizkiz, Jun 6, 2010.

1. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

I searched, and found old threads on the subject, and didn't want to dredge up an old thread from last year.

My sister is on Sprint right now, and is getting an iPhone.
    Can Apple create a new AT&T account and port her number for her?

I'm assuming that when she preorders, she will have to select for in-store pickup, correct?
    (Actually, when I preorder for her, as she is a NYC teacher and will not be home til after 5 or 6, and does not have reliable internet access at her school)

TIA

2. iPaul macrumors regular

3. troop231 macrumors 603

Yep, just tell her to bring her account info and password/PIN and she'll be fine.

4. d.shorty1 macrumors member

yes, just need the account number and phone number you will be porting

5. vizkiz thread starter macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

PIN? Isn't that usually the last 4 of your SSN?

In case anyone is wondering, I put Sprint/VZW/TMo in the title in case anyone else on another carrier had the same question and searched for an answer.

6. troop231 macrumors 603

Noo lol, the PIN is the password for the account normally. Just make sure she brings the correct info.

7. vizkiz thread starter macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

I thought, by default, the PIN was your last 4, and it was up to the customer to change it.
    I'll just tell her to bring her Sprint acct info, if she has a PIN, she'll know it.

8. troop231 macrumors 603

Yup, she will be good to go then.

9. vizkiz thread starter macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Cool, thanks guys.
    'Nother question. She has a $325 gift card her boyfriend got her for her birthday so she could get an iPhone, I can preorder for her with that, right?

10. troop231 macrumors 603

Should be able to. Is it a prepaid debit card deal? Then idk.

11. thetexan macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't do it at the time of purchase. Make sure Apple gives you a number in the same local calling area of your current number to avoid a possible headache and call AT&T when you get home to have them do the port. Apple wouldn't be able to troubleshoot porting problems and when you call AT&T they'll tell you on the phone exactly what time your number will be ported, usually down to the minute. When I got my 3GS AT&T told me my number would be ported at 8:27 and when I gave up on AT&T due to their crappy network Verizon told me between 2-4 hours but said "it looks like it will be finished in 12 minutes". AT&T will also know if there are any problems right away as the approval is usually instant. I don't think Apple has access to all of that and Apple would refer you to AT&T if there were any problems.

Also if you are new to AT&T you really, really want to use your iPhone for a day or two at the important places to you like home, work, bars you normally hang out at, or whatever. AT&T has better service in some areas than others but there were so many deadspots in my town it wasn't even funny. If you find you don't get a signal at say work and you really need your phone there then you'll have to go through the trouble of porting your number back to your original carrier.

AT&T can port a number whenever you want. A few minutes, days, or years after activation.

12. vizkiz thread starter macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

AT&T coverage is not a problem in our area or where she works and anywhere in between.

Shoulda mentioned that, it's an Apple gift card.