Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcook793

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
I just got my BTO 12" iBook (60g HD and BT) that I ordered from Apple's online store. It was randomly freezing quite a bit. I tried to re-install the OS, but it even froze up during that. So I popped in the hardware test CD and while testing the RAM the testing app puked, reportd "Invalid memory access" and dumped me into Open Firmware.

I tried the same thing with the 128mb RAM module removed, same problem. So it seems to definitely be the RAM on the motherboard.

I'm taking it to an Apple Store today. I'm wondering how flexible they can be. The most awesome thing I can think of would be to take a new 12" iBook, swap out the hard drive and my internal bluetooth module and send me on my way. But do they even have the authority to do that?

sinisterdesign

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2003
atlanta
apple store is not going to be gung-ho about giving you a brand new iBook to walk out with. i haven't tried taking any machine directly into a brick & mortar apple store for repair, but my guess is that if it's more than just adjusting the RAM (which it sounds like), they'll box it up & ship it off for you.
i have a first rev of the tiBook that i had to send back 3 times for repair. they ended up replacing the DVD drive, LCD display and the motherboard. they were a couple sticks of RAM and a keyboard away from replacing the whole computer, but they refused to swap it out for one that wasn't busted.

good luck! hope you can get that iBook up & crusing soon...

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
The bluetooth is soldered onto the motherboard. There is no chance that they will swap the mother boards around... also I believe the internal ram is soldered onto the board also. Hence your whole logic board will need replacing. There is no chance they will swap it out. Prepare to be without your baby... :( I'd be sad if mine was gone.

jcook793

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
Oh, I didn't know the bluetooth module was hard-wired. Well that seals the deal, they can't do it. Oh well... now I have to travel around on the holidays Mac-less....
:(

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
actually i dont think the bluetooth module is soldered, i used to think this but i believe sunbaked corrected me. but still, those things you requested they will not do, they will most likely check it in and call you when its ready.

iJon

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
yup, apple does not keep technicians there at the stores ... even in the holidays

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
The bluetooth has an internal connection (possibly USB, not sure) and is said by Apple to be "too difficult for the end user to install" which is why they say it is not a user-installable part. However, it is not soldered onto the board.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
Originally posted by crazzyeddie
said by Apple to be "too difficult for the end user to install".

the one thing I don't like about apple they think were dumbarse's have a warning that it is hard to do sure but at least sell the thing

snofseth

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
call apple care they are much more lienante and willing to repair. I have taken things in to the store and they have said it was fine, but then I called apple and it needed to be sent in to get a repair, it is also a lot easier to call than to go I have learned my lesson to call and not go and the people at the store are not at all willing to to give you a new something if it is not working properly

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
well obviously its going to be hard to install bluetoother yourself if you have to disassemble the whole computer to install it!

they could make a nice door inside the battery compartment like they do with airport extreme and be done with it... or just simply have it standard... (actually, I think they do now... on all laptops?)

biscool

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2002
I always wondered, couldn't they make a AE card that was BT also. Just stick it in the AE slot are you are good to go....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.