Can Apple TV stream iTunes music like an Airport Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by g-boac, Jan 26, 2009.

1. g-boac macrumors 6502

Looking to buy one or the other. I'd like to be able to stream my playlists and podcasts from my Mac upstairs to the downstairs stereo system, and control it all with the Remote app on my iPhone.

I know that an Airport Express will let me stream music - can I do the same using an Apple TV?

thanks,
    Mark

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Yes.

When you have the Apple TV connected to the local network go into itunes and you will have the option on the bottom right to either use you computer or the Apple TV for sound.

3. g-boac thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks. effectively, how many HD movies (hours) does the 40GB model hold? I know the specs say "50 hours of video", but I'm not clear on the resolution of the video...

thanks!
    Mark

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You don't need to store them on the Apple TV. They can be streamed from your main iTunes Library via the Apple TV GUI. As far as how much HD video can be stored on the Apple TV keep in mind you will only be able to transfer 540I video to the Apple TV. You won't be able to put any 1080i or 1080P on it.

you can put 720P on it as long as the framerate is 24fps.

You can find out all about the Apple TV here:

http://www.apple.com/appletv/

5. g-boac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! I'm starting to think that the Airport Express is right for me right now - the Apple TV is great, but I'm looking more for something that I can hit the power switch on my amp, and a playlist on my Remote App (iPhone) and go, vs something that requires me to fire up the TV, power up the Apple TV, etc to start listening to music.

I was really after streaming music and podcasts. . .and started thinking "if spending $100, why not just spend $229 and get an Apple TV. But if I'm understanding it right, the Apple TV can do that (stream), but with additional overhead.

Am I thinking right, and is Airport Express more what I'm looking for?

thanks!
    Mark