Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

striders

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
I noticed that the Amazon app ran in the background for quite sometime. I checked in Settings -> General -> Background App refresh and it is disabled for Amazon.

Is there a way to disable this completely, or app can just bypass this setting?

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
yes they can, yes its dumb, yes app devs can exploit it (*cough* facebook lol *cough*), yes apple will probably eventually make it more strict some time

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
yes they can, yes its dumb, yes app devs can exploit it (*cough* facebook lol *cough*), yes apple will probably eventually make it more strict some time

I'm totally not understanding what that option does at all. It seems to make no difference whatsoever as to whether or not apps continue running in the background. The ones I want to run quit anyway, and the ones I don't want running just do whatever they please.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
its for letting apps like twitter or stocks for example, when u check back later, to already be displaying the latest data available rather than doing their 2 or 5 or whatever second, refresh load after opening them again to update their data

voip apps get to bypass it cause voip has to be in a semi running connected state to accept live calls etc, music apps get to bypass it cause having ur music quit 5 seconds after exiting the app wouldnt fly well with users

striders

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Thanks for the info, guys! Strange that the thread posted by C DM didn't show up when I searched for it using Tapatalk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.