Can ATT charge me for their subsidy if I cancel my contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jon619, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Jon619 macrumors newbie

I want to get the new 3GS, I have a 16gb 3G currently. I know I will be charged $499 for the 32gb model. I will be moving out of the country in 3 months and canceling my att contract (one line on a family plan). I'm paying an ETF regardless of whether or not I upgrade, so I'd like to the the 3GS for the next few months. My question is, can ATT charge me for the rest of the phone's cost? As in slap me with the $175 ETF and the $200 subsidy they paid for the phone?

2. aneftp macrumors 68040

After you have had the service for more than 30 days, you can call and cancel your ATT contract. They will not prorate your last month's voice plan (keep that in mind).

But they charge you $175 ETF (minus $5 bucks a month you've been with att). That is your get out of jail card. That $175 is your subidy/ETF all rolled up into one.

3. TheCookie macrumors regular

TheCookie

Don't forget, too, that you won't be able to open a new account with AT&T for a certain amount of time after you cancel. So you'll either have to unlock your phone, or you'll have a nice, pricey paperweight.

4. Jon619 thread starter macrumors newbie

it'll be at least a year before I come back to ATT, if ever.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think if you tell ATT that you are moving out of the country, there's a chance you can get out of your contract without paying ETF. Mention it when you are cancelling, it's worth a try.

6. Jon619 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i'll try that, i might also try the raised rates on 411 calls. But that might be too late for that by the time i'll need to cancel.

7. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Lie to break a contract you signed? You are just the model of honesty aren't you.

8. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

I don't see anything written by the OP that suggests he's going to lie to anyone. Have another read!