Can BestBuy Upgrade The Mac's Ram If You Order Online?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by trevpimp, Apr 17, 2009.

1. trevpimp macrumors regular

trevpimp

Im gonna get a Mac Mini with only 1GB of Ram, I wanted to upgrade it to 2GB. The thing is, is that it has to be at BestBuy [Online]. The reason is because I like their warranties and its cheap for two years.

Now I can only get it online, so does that mean bestbuy orders it for me? if yes then maybe they can tell apple to upgrade it before they ship it to them?

I never ordered from BestBuy Online [Computer].

2. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

3. 11800506 macrumors 65816

No that's not possible, but if you aren't comfortable with doing the upgrade yourself, you can bring it to an Apple store to do the upgrade.

4. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

I don't think you can, because you are ordering a specific computer, not customizing. Maybe you can order through the geeksqaud at the retail store, and they can update it for you when it arrives?

But you can do it yourself, its super easy... So easy Apple will still cover it under warranty if you do it.

5. trevpimp thread starter macrumors regular

trevpimp

Oh............

Someone told me that they void the warranty once you open it, yeah I already know how to upgrade it ;)

Thanks for tellin me about this.

6. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

can i buy my own ram and have the apple store upgrade it? I wanted to go 8gb on a new iMac later this year.

7. trevpimp thread starter macrumors regular

trevpimp

Second thought, im gonna have a Geek Squad employee do it for me. They charge $39.99 for memory upgrade only(In-Store). They charge $49.99 for stuff like HDD, etc. (In-Store)

I know I can do it myself, but its kinda hard for me to open apart a $600 dollar computer the first day I get it and feel "safe". So im gonna have them upgrade it to a 4GB.
    I have seen how the Geek Squad employees work, and boy do they know their stuff. iPod touch very corrupted and couldnt restore or anything, Gave to a Geek Squad guy and he figured it out in 10 Minutes. For some reason my battery also lasts longer too.