Can confirm. Full price AT&T iPhone 5S works on T-Mobile.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by calviin, Sep 20, 2013.

1. calviin macrumors regular

Inserted T-Mobile SIM card, took a few seconds to detect T-Mobile connection and was able to download apps and received texts. Looks like full price iPhones are unlocked (on GSM at least). Let me know if you have any questions.

2. atteligibility macrumors regular

could you buy it without an at&t number though? they didn't let me, ended up finding a TMO store that carried some

3. calviin thread starter macrumors regular

It did come with a SIM card but I just took it out and turned it on. I wasn't sure if it would work but I talked to the person and ask him to try it and he said no problem. Tried it and worked. The guy didn't even mention AT&T after I asked him what I wanted to try.

4. acarney macrumors 6502

I bought two at the Spokane Apple store just about an hour ago. 64Gig AT&T iPhone 5s at full retail ($849). I haven't tried tossing in a TMobile sim, that's going to be my next stop. One I used with my account and even though they sold it as "device only" I then tossed in my AT&T sim and it worked fine. The other I haven't even opened the box yet and DON'T have an account number for it. (Got it for a friend that's not in the US :p) So they didn't seem to have a problem with that for me...

5. atteligibility macrumors regular

I guess I talked to a bunch of ignorants this morning,
    Apple didn't have any TMO phones
    They would not let me buy an ATT phone without activating an ATT phone number
    Then TMO store told me they had plenty, but once at the cashier they said they meant plenty in the warehouse, ready to ship in 2 weeks
    Then 9 different TMO stores told me that no TMO store was carrying the 5S

Eventually got it at one TMO store, but damn... it's like begging to give your money..

6. calviin thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry to hear that. :( But glad to hear you did get one in the end.

7. sotorious macrumors 6502a

8. calviin thread starter macrumors regular

It does but it doesn't work well in my area. If I'm on LTE, I have 2-3 bars. 4G gives me 4-5 bars. I'm not sure how that works... :/ But LTE does have a 2-3 Mb speed boost. I can only imagine what LTE is like with full bars. :rolleyes: And since I upgraded from a 4S, there's a huge difference between the two. The upgrade was really worth it since I get a larger screen and LTE. TouchID, M7 and all that jazz are just nice bonuses.

9. Templex macrumors regular

Argh, if only I knew about this earlier. :( I too was at the store in Brea but left empty handed since they ran out of the T-Mobile 5s.

10. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

LTE works on Tmobile. no reason it shouldn't. They are identical phone models.

my apple store let me buy the phone device only, meaning no service activation. i explained what i wanted to do and they had no qualms.

restored iPhone in iTunes, and got the congrats unlocked message.

11. sotorious macrumors 6502a

Just to clarify you went into a AT&T store and bought it out right correct?