Can defective rMBP BTO's be returned to an Apple Store for a refund/exchange?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ducatiti, Jul 29, 2012.

1. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

So I have recently purchased the base rMBP from a local Apple Store and had to return it due to cosmetic damages. This happened twice to me on two separate occasions and have decided to wait a bit now and order another online (BTO), until any further issues or bugs have been resolved.

In the event, I receive more defective merchandise, can I return these BTO systems in-store for a full refund? From what I have read here, some required the systems to be shipped back but some were able to return it to a local Apple Store.

For those who have had a defective rMBP BTO's, what procedure did you have to follow? Was it worth the wait? It does not make sense to wait for another 2-3 weeks for a defective product replacement in addition to your initial waiting period.

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

I know I ordered a base MBP one time but decided to return the purchase before even opening it. In that case, they just had me return it to my local Apple Store. But, in other cases where I've had to return a BTO order, they usually require that you ship it back. Most Apple.com orders are completely separate from local apple stores.

If your BTO order is defective, you will likely need to wait the 1-2 week wait period to get a replacement.

3. sk8r1230 macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

not totally true. i returned my retina macbook pro and was given an advanced replacement. they sent one to me before i ever returned the original and did so in about 4 days. that is taking into account the high demand and shipping from china so i was very impressed.

4. token787 macrumors regular

token787

I ordered a BTO from Apple.com and returned it to the brick and mortar apple store. First i called Apple store and they said you can return it to store or ship back and then I called Apple online and they said same thing. Also if you read the return policy it also state can be returned either to Apple.com or brick and mortar store. Soon as I took it in to be returned to the Apple store it took less than 5 min. and Apple.com had shipped a replacement that same day. I was very impressed.

5. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Apple used to have a restocking fee, but they did away with that a few years ago. Now, as long as you're within 14 days, you can return any item for just about any reason, either on line or at the store.

6. ducatiti thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you all for your inputs. Now that we know that we can return merchandise purchased online to any Apple Store.

Please advise when does Apple start processing the replacement unit. Do they have to confirm with the Apple Store or they send it out regardless via expedited shipping?

7. token787 macrumors regular

token787

It immediately registered in that I had returned the notebook to the Apple store once the genius agent scanned it in. Then Apple online prepared to ship replacement notebook. I also had a email that Apple had shipped a replacement. If you return by Fedex to be shipped to Apple they will wait until they receive the item then they will ship a replacement.

8. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

My brother got a BTO rMBP and it crapped out after two weeks. More specifically, the battery would last about one hour off a full charge and would have constant kernel panics throughout the day!

Took it to Apple and of course they we're just as confused. They couldn't make out the kernel logs and thus, had to order him a new one. They also said they were sending his old one to Cupertino to have the engineers check it out. I figured they'd do this to make sure it doesn't become a widespread problem.

FYI

9. ryanqc macrumors newbie

So is it faster to bring it to the Apple Store then? I spoke with a person from the Apple Store that said it was faster to ship it back.

10. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I believe the store sends it back for you then you'd have to wait until they receive it and then send out the replacement afterwards. I may be completely wrong though.

11. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

Can't you just return it and order another one ?