Can every1 try this on their Macbook Pro Retina to confirm im not crazy???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VideoNewbie, Sep 28, 2012.

1. VideoNewbie, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012

VideoNewbie macrumors 6502

Okay.

1.) go to a folder where you have a lot of different images. EDIT: AT LEAST 20 IMAGES. the more images there are in that folder the better for the purpose of illustrating this test. make sure that the you click on "Show all" so that you can see a bunch of icons in your window screen.

2.) find an image click on it ONCE, then click the spacebar so that you are given a larger preview of the image

3.) click the spacebar again to make the preview retract now the next step is the crucial part.

4.) immediately after step#3 try clicking on another image or another file or scrolling down or dragging or performing some type of action. THERE IS A 4-5+ SECOND LAG. . its geting to be really annoying.

as soon as i close out the window with the many images and i try randomly clicking on folders on my desktop there is absolutely no delay. but it seems like as long as there are at least 20 photos in a given folder and that folder window is open then there will be a delay immediately after clicking the spacebar twice to retract the preview image.

why is this macbook pro which is supposed to be a powerful machine experiencing lag in something as seemingly light as picture browsing?? i did NOT experience this issue with my old macbook

2. leman macrumors 604

Not happening here. I tested it on a folder with tons of text files in it (one of the biggest spoken language corpora in the world).

3. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Maybe its time you performed a bit of maintenance on your machine? Do you have Onyx?

4. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

maintenance??
    this machine is brand new.

5. VideoNewbie, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012

VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

i just noticed that it only happens when i have a finder window open with more than 20 images (give or take)

try it on a folder with images not text files.

6. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Well, in that case, you should be contacting applecare not macrumors :(

7. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

i am but i want to check the forums first to see if anyone else is having this problem.

the reply above doesnt count because hes doing it with text files and if you read my edit you would see that i said this problem doesnt exist in certain conditions. the lag happens not just in the window where all the files actually are but everywhere else as well. as long as the offending window (with more than 20 images and other misc files) is open the problem exists

did you even do the test?

8. leman macrumors 604

Unfortunately, I don't have any images :(

9. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

I gave you 2 reasonable answers in order to try and help and you respond with this? I didn't read your edit, no, but that doesn't change anything. You're having a problem there that is not normal on such a recent machine with such a small task. You are either going to resort to 1- maintenance, 2- reinstalling OSX or 3- getting in touch with applecare. However though if you won't accept my help and instead respond with passive aggressive replies then good luck resolving your problem...

10. nanolife macrumors 6502

nanolife

Come on mate, stop bitc**** around with many topics talking about the same thing.

Respect the ones trying to help you, as it seems they know a lot more than you do and yet you refuse to listen.

11. Bebel macrumors member

Your issue does not exist on my rMBP. Tested this with folders containing 100+ retina resolution images.

12. gentlefury macrumors 68030

A brand new machine can have old data on it. Your new machine is just hardware...did you restore a previous machine onto it? If so that can cause problems.

13. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

About 150 large images in a folder, no lag whatever I try. rMBP 2.6/512/16 Os X 10.8.2