can feel an electric current on iphone 5 back when charging

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by only me, Sep 23, 2012.

1. only me macrumors newbie

Just noticed that when i have plugged my iphone 5 in to charge if i run my hand up the back i can feel what feels like an electric current. I have plugged my partners one in too and this does exactly the same. It is only slight and starts a second or so after plugging in . Does anyone else have this problem?

2. Dsfahey macrumors newbie

Hi. I've have the same problem and searched on google came across your thread. Mine doesn't seem to go its so strong makes my finger tips sore. Have you found out anymore on this?

3. parrot5 macrumors 6502

If someone can measure the volts and ampere (hopefully in mA) that'd be great :D

4. dave420 macrumors 65816

Don't hold it that way! :)

5. only me thread starter macrumors newbie

No im afraid not, mine also does not stop as long as it is plugged in .

6. shortcrust macrumors 6502

All devices with that type of external casing do the same. My iPad, my old PowerBook G4, my old Sony ereader, my DAB radio. Nothing to worry about.

7. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

Yep I remember my PowerBook Titanium G4 doing this too.

8. only me thread starter macrumors newbie

Im afraid my tool box does not quite expand to that :D

9. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

My iPad did this same thing. When plugged in charging, if I ran my finger across the back it would feel like a strange vibration going on.

10. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

11. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

Neither one of our iPads do that, nor does my MacBook Pro, the wife's MacBook Air or our Mac Mini. A properly insulated device should not conduct electricity to the housing under any circumstances.

12. MacPod macrumors member

This is incorrect. Or at the very least, imprecise. Most electronic devices connect the outer case to common ground. This is because if there ever is a short circuit to the case, it drastically minimized the odds of electrocution.

If there is a difference in potential between common ground and yourself, you may very well feel it, and it indicates a possible wiring issues in your house. On the plus side, the difference should be fairly minimal.

However, if this is what the OP is talking about, I can't say. I suspect it's more to do with the housing being vibrated at a high frequency, perhaps by the battery or other charging circuitry.

13. shortcrust macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure that the phenomenon isn't caused by the conduction of electricity. Electricity does 'feel' like that. I have to confess though I don't know what the actual mechanism is.

Perhaps some people feel it and some people don't. As I said, I feel it on every aluminium encased device when it's plugged in. Google 'tingle iPad charging' and you'll see loads of people talking about it.

14. Dennis187 macrumors regular

Dennis187

I get micro-explosions moments before a phone call.

15. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

16. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

You need to buy the iPhone 5 bumper to prevent electrocution. Apple is offering them free.

17. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

18. crimzoneyed macrumors newbie

Where can you go to get one for free? Can't find anything about it.

19. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

Ok, I miss stated what I meant. I meant it should never conduct electricity beyond the case meaning to the person holding it. And like you said, if you feel it, then there is a problem.

On the other side, what could possibly be vibrating?

20. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

lol it was a joke dude.

21. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8