Can Flying Get Worse ?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

An article reported that an airplane was diverted in flight because of excessive flatulation by a passenger. The pilot thought that the passenger should be able to control his farting.

While I sympathize with the passenger, there are foods you shouldn't eat before going in a low pressure environment (i.e. flying).

When you are stuck flying next to other people, what is your worse fear (mine is coughing / germs) ?

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Worst would probably be a screaming kid on a 12 hour flight, especially if it were my own.

3. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

There is video somewhere of a kid screaming for 8 hours on a flight. 8 ****ing hours.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 16, 2018 ---
    Wait that article said the flight was stopped due to a fight that broke out over the farting. That’s a big difference than over just the farting itself.

4. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

6. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

hmmm, I've caught plenty of germs. They don't scare me.

I've had a baby puke on me, a very drugged biker crush his plastic cup and spill G&T all over himself & me, I even was accidentally punched in the eye by a little old lady walking down the isle on a red-eye.

I have suffered loads of BO, bad breath, arm rest hoggers, snorers, cuddlers, farters, excessive talkers and crying babies.

Can't fail to mention being wacked by runaway carts and those seat leaners who lean their seats back as soon as they can and never put them back up.

All part of the joy of airline travel.

Biggest fear? Probably that the passenger next to me dies half way through the flight and neither of us can be moved until we land.

7. Leguna24 Suspended

Leguna24

Planes and grocery stores should have kid-free days.

8. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

I bet an airline could make a fortune with a 18+ flight only.

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

10. Zenithal macrumors G3

Just give kids a 1st gen antihistamine. It'll knock them out and make them groggy when they wake up. So much so they'll fall asleep again. Give them prunes when you land, though.

11. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

Not a germophobe, and I have patience for poor screaming kids as I did that at a point in my life.

However the cramped seats with no food has to be the second worst. If I had to name something that bothers me, more than cramped seats and no food are passengers who board a plane without proper hygiene or the smoking stinking drunk sitting next to me.

12. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

All I know is that the last time I was folded up like an accordion on a plane, I got a blood clot in my leg which then travelled to my lungs and nearly killed me. People joke about cattle class, but most civilised countries have laws specifying the minimum space requirements for livestock during travel.

EDIT: Oh, and the airlines completely deny that flying causes DVT's...

13. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Thanks to my job I have traveled more last year than I have ever. Domestic Flying is horrible, absolutely horrible. I'm not severely obese but I'm 5'11 with very broad shoulders and 220 pounds. My shoulders stick out on both sides of the seat meaning if there are 3 guys in a row, I'm screwed even if we all hold our arms on our stomachs. I try to get the isle seats because the window seats force me to arch my back. Thus, if there are 3 guys, I'm half way in the isle being asked constantly by the air stewardesses to move as they want to get by.

International flights - the seats are great, usually I have a row to myself, and the food is actually pretty good.

These dang domestic flight seats were made for super thin people who are easily 1/2 my size. I thank the stars when there's a super thin girl/guy sitting next to me because it means I don't have to spend 2-3-4 hours holding my arms.

I've had passengers who had such severe BO that I almost threw up. Thankfully the stewardess saw this and let me move to a free seat on the other side. Crying babies don't bother me a ton because I bring in-ear bluetooth headphones. I've had a woman fall asleep on my shoulder - the entire time I spend worrying if I'm going to be accused of assault so I try to stay as still as possible (this only happened once). Haven't had any issues with farting. Hit an air pocket RIGHT when handed a hot cup of coffee and had to grit my teeth as it spilled all over my hand and my lap.

It's my experience that a lot of people treat the air stewardesses REALLY bad. When you go out of your way to be nice to them, they notice this and return the favor.

14. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Just be aware in some children hyperactivity is a side effect.

15. Zenithal, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018

Zenithal macrumors G3

About that, I think I once read that it's not just kids who can suffer from that. Prunes, milk of magnesia, unbuffered C and I suppose ground up chia seeds mixed into warm water will get things going within a few hours. When I was ill, I took mine with a hefty meal and it slowly eased in and allowed me to get anywhere from 6-14 hours of sleep (with short breaks). No grogginess. The chia seeds work. Really, any food or drink with osmotic properties is going to be better than stimulative properties to get things moving along. Senna used to be given to adults and children alike who were on anticholinergics long enough to cause issues. It's a pretty harsh stimulant.

Though in the case of people with the hyperactivity reaction, melatonin seems to work. Or a compounded variety like Schiff makes. Generally, you don't want to give a sick adult or child any food in the evening unless absolutely necessary. Keep fluids to a minimum. Make sure they took their vitamins hours ago. Most people react poorly when they take a vitamin or a complex at night.

16. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

Ok well maybe they can try flights for adults only without the women in skimpy outfits.

17. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

Honestly, any time the plane lands in one piece and airport security don't nearly beat anyone to death, I consider myself at least 65% satisfied from the go. (I have low expectations with airlines.)

18. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

Ridiculous this. When the cabin pressure drops to 0.7 bar, as it does on most planes, any intestinal gas is going to expand in the gut and want to force its way out. I fart all the time on planes. Everyone does.

19. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

Some better than others. In particular I have learnt to avoid any connecting flights in the US if I’m heading abroad. If I have to have a connecting flight I now do my best to have it routed through Canada or Europe.

20. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Actually my last few flights (Allegiant and Southwest) were not as bad as most domestic carriers. But you also know going in that they are budget carriers so expectations are lower. But for half the price of American the experience was at least as good, if not better.

Still hate flying though.

21. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Lol. That reply and your username just... haha.

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The travails of commercial air travel are (literally) enough to fill several books.

As as I'm concerned, there is a huge difference between domestic and most international flights. I consider most domestic flights to be a (slightly) updated version of a bus trip. If you adjust your expectations accordingly, you'll be happy. The seat won't be very comfortable, you won't get much in the way of inflight refreshment or entertainment, and you'll have to pass through security to get on-board. On the plus side, you'll get there much quicker. Pack lightly, get some noise-canceling headphones and a tablet computer with some entertainment, and you'll be fine. Manage your bathroom needs.

International flights? They tend to much longer, plus you've got the stress of going through passport and customs control at the other end. If you're travelling alone get an aisle seat, but not too close to the restrooms. (People have a habit of resting their arms on your headrest while they wait for the bathroom.) Take a pen so you can fill out the landing card. Limit the amount of alcohol and caffeine you consume. Try and carry as little onto the plane as you can, as overhead storage is always at a premium. And don't put anything in the overhead locker if there is a chance you'll need it during the flight. You fellow passengers will thank you for that. Every flight has a mandatory crying baby, so don't get stressed over that.

My most recent "bad" experience? I was flying from Keflavik (Iceland) to Chicago OHare. And I was seated next to this absolutely gorgeous young Icelandic female. The problem was, she was flying with several family members, including one of the cabin attendants, who were seated elsewhere on the plane, and they kept on coming back to linger in the aisle to talk to her, leaning over me as I was trying to rest/read etc. The first two or three times it was easy enough to ignore, but by visit twenty or so from mama and grandpa I was beginning to harbor dark thoughts indeed. I don't know that she actually farted during the flight, but if I could have mustered the gas myself, I probably would have done so out of pure spite.

23. samiwas macrumors 68000

My biggest problem with air trave isn’t necessarily the plane with its tightly-packed seats, or the airlines with their overbooking and ne’er-do-wrong policies, or even security itself.

It’s with other idiot travelers who have no clue how to efficiently handle air travel. If you need more than two bins for your stuff at security, you’re doing it wrong. If you need to take off more than your shoes and a belt, you’re doing it wrong. If you stand at the jetway before they’ve called your zone (especially 15 minutes before), you’re doing it wrong. If you somehow made it to the gate with four bags, you’re doing it wrong. If your carryon is as big as the suitcase I checked, you’re doing it wrong. And if you have a family of six all standing at the baggage carousel, you’re doing it wrong.

That’s my biggest issue with air travel, and it never ends.

24. 0007776 Suspended

Is traveling in winter where you need a coat which they make you take off or traveling with a laptop that they make take its own bin doing it wrong?

25. samiwas macrumors 68000

I have traveled when it was in the teens and I never traveled without my laptop. I should have added coat to the list, even though I have never worn a heavy coat when traveling by plane, no matter how cold it was. You can wear a lighter jacket for the travel day. I have still, in my 20 years of traveling, never needed more than two bins, even with the laptop. It's called "learning how to pack for efficient air travel".