Can future iPhones ever be thinner than the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Oppressed, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

I was thinking about one of the reasons Apple ditched the 30 pin connector for the lightning port was because of size limitations. This makes since that the port was holding them back from a thinner design. But what about the headphone jack? Do you guys think that they would be willing to redesign the headphone jack to make the phone thinner, and piss everyone off by making them buy an adapter, or is the headphone jack going to keep the phone from becoming thinner in the future?

2. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

They'll figure out a way to make it thinner. They'll keep doing this until they cannot do it anymore and it stabilizes into one thinness for all!

3. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

In the future they might eliminate the headphone jack n just go with a Bluetooth headphones

4. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I'd prefer they stop worrying about how thin the phone is and start worrying about battery life a bit more.

5. Oppressed thread starter macrumors 65816

Oppressed

This is essentially the same as changing the port and requiring you to buy a new adapter. As upsetting as it was for people to have their docks become obsolete then imagine people having their headphones not only obsolete but also limited in what headphones they could purchase in the future.

6. AAPLinc, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012

AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I don't know why thinner is considered better. The thinner you go, the less strength and durability. I hope the iPhone doesn't go much thinner. I like my 4S thickness! I hate that frail feeling.

7. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Apple doesnt always make the next product thinner. The iPad 3 for instance was thicker then the iPad 2

8. Oppressed thread starter macrumors 65816

Oppressed

Yes but this was because LG couldn't make the correct screens fast enough at the time. If they could it would have been thinner.

9. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I think we'll always see thinner, but not at the big 20% decreases we get at the moment.

It'll be half a mm on one model, another half a mm on the next etc.

10. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Personally, I would not prefer a thinner platform than the current iP5. At this moment, I cannot think of a reason why a thinner platform would either be desired and/or be required.

11. Elevon, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012

Elevon macrumors regular

We would never know, maybe 'phones' wouldnt even exist in the future.

It might be replaced with a chip implanted into our brain or even just contact lenses, anyway just what I think with my imagination going wild :p hehe

12. alexander25 macrumors regular

I thought the iPhone 4 was the perfect thickness. I would have preferred for them to make the iPhone 5 as thick as the iPhone 4 and shove a bigger battery in there.

If they start getting thinner than the iPhone 5 and its uncomfortable to hold, I'll have to buy something else.

Battery > thinness of the phone

13. darster Suspended

14. schizbomb macrumors 6502

you can make collapsing headphone jacks that just about halve the thickness of the port. Then it expands when the headphones are plugged in

15. Fanboi4life macrumors regular

Fanboi4life

I hope not. It's the perfect thickness right now, which includes having a case on it. Any thinner, I'd worry about durability...

16. children macrumors regular

I remember people saying this about the Motorola razr back in the days..

Guess what, the Moto v3 was 14mm, a brick by current standards

iPhones will get thinner. I don't know how they will benefit from it, maybe they'll become flexible/foldable or something, I don't know. But one thing I'm certain is that fact they will become thinner and thinner..

17. MathijsDelva macrumors regular

Are we really talking future, as in 20 years from now? Then this question will look ridiculous :)

18. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Headphones will soon plug into the lightning jack. There's no reason why they couldn't. People will just have to buy another adaptor.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Ditto for the iPhone 3G/3GS.

20. darster Suspended

Right now the big draw for people upgrading is LTE. Over the next few years, change will be incremental because within 2 years, most people will have upgraded to LTE phones in US. This is where brand loyalty will help Apple. People will continue to return to the iPhone. How many will return to Android with it's fragmented system? I would imagine the big winner over the next few years will be Windows while Android suffers.

21. Oppressed thread starter macrumors 65816

Oppressed

If I have to carry an extra adapter to use headphone I have to question the thinner phone.

22. jumpmandds macrumors regular

I don't think I'd want it thinner I find myself checking my pocket a lot to see if it hasn't fallen out its so light lol

23. skippymac macrumors 6502a

skippymac

Future iPhones will easily be thinner. I bet in 2007 people where saying, "wow, there'll never be a phone any thinner than this!" Yes, there is a physical limit to how thin the phone can be but we're certainly not pushing it atm.

I think the next few iphones will shave off tiny amounts, but at some point in the future headphone jack standards will change. Apple will probably change it first and everyone will have a hissy fit, but other companies will want to make phones thinner than a headphone jack at some point in the coming decades, meaning they'll have to change anyway!

24. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Yes. It gets thinner and thinner at this point. Eventually it will be so thin it will be invisible.

[​IMG]

25. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yes sir

Yep, just like Tony Stark's phone in Iron Man 2.

I can't guarantee that obviously, but surely it's possible.

----------

With all the focus on cutting cords, surely headphones will soon be wireless and we'll wax nostalgic and plugging in anything besides power.

And then power will hopefully be wireless (well, at least the phone itself won't need to be plugged in) as soon as we figure out a different power-storage method than chemical batteries.