can gfxcardstatus force fcpx to run with iris pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by that1guyy, Nov 2, 2013.

1. that1guyy macrumors 6502

I ordered a 750m model yesterday and was wondering if FCPX always uses dedicated graphics or can I force the use of iris pro with an app like gfxcardstatus? Some real life tests have shown that iris pro is actually significantly faster in certain tasks within FCPX.

Would love if someone can test this for me.

2. Ruphio macrumors newbie

Yes, it'll let me use FCPX with iris pro.

3. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

yes and no. it can force the integrated GPU but ONLY when the dedicated is not in use. this means it will stay on integrated. Once the dedicated GPU is triggered there is no "going back". TO get to the iGPU you need to quit all apps.

4. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

These seem to contradict one-another. So if you boot your rMBP and tell gfxcardstatus to stay on integrated, then launch an app that requests for the dgpu, what happens? Will it stay on the igpu or switch to the dgpu?

My interest is that I'd like to buy the rmbp with dgpu, for the odd time that I choose to use it, such as for gaming, but for the vast majority of usage, do not want the dgpu to run. Is that possible with gfxcardstatus?

5. zOlid macrumors regular

zOlid

It will stay on what its locked on.
    What he meant was if you have its set on auto, and you start a program that uses dGPU.
    Then you have to shut the program off first to lock it to iGPU only.
    You dont have to shut all programs off, only the one that uses dGPU. And you can see what programs are using it on the GFXcs menu.

6. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

7. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

it's exactly like zOlid said. However (I use gfx for switching for quite some time now) in some situations even if you force the iGPU the dGPU will be triggered. I think it may have something to do with heat

8. bitninja macrumors regular

bitninja

It has nothing to do with heat. That's a bug that only occurs on 2010 machines that isn't particularly easy to fix.