Can I access an external hard drive by connecting it to an Airport Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gtNY, Aug 24, 2009.

1. gtNY macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I wonder if any of you can help me with a problem. I already have an Airport Extreme Base Station which has a shared printer connected by USB. I have an external hardrive which I also wanted to access wirelessly. Since my Airport's USB is already taken by the Printer, can I buy an Airport Express and use that to access an External Hard Drive?

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

No. The USB on the Express is to share printers only. You can however get a USB hub and connect your hard drive along with any other printer/hard drive to your AirPort Extreme Base Station. Or you can connect your hard drive to your Extreme and connect the printer to the Express.

3. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

I currently have a hub on my AEBS, which has 1 printer, and 1 hard drive connected.

If you still want to buy a AE, you could hook to printer, and speakers (airtunes) to it, and do the hard drive on the AEBS. just a suggestion.

Also you could run the AEBS in 5GHz mode for the fastest 802.11N speeds, and set the AE to 2.4GHz mode for 802.11b/g to run iphone's and such and not slow down you networking speed on the N network. Just a suggestion.