Can I activate new iPhone on any computer w/latest iTunes? Or just at home?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by straleno, Jun 14, 2009.

1. straleno macrumors newbie

Couldn't find any threads on this, and I was curious. My 3GS is being delivered to my office, and if I can activate on my work computer, I wouldn't have to wait until I get home. Does it matter where I activate/sync the first time? I'd be syncing ONLY at home after that.
    Thanks.

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Nope it doesn't matter. Just like an Apple employee activating it on any computer in the Apple Store, you can activate it on any computer.

3. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Any computer with iTunes, just remember to NOT sync it unless on your computer.

4. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

When you get home just connect and back-up (if this is not your first iphone)

5. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

O.K. then. Does this mean that since I already have a 3G synched to my home desktop computer, I can take a new replacement 3G s and register it on my laptop (since I won't be home until the end of the day)?

6. straleno thread starter macrumors newbie

For me, it's my first iPhone, so I wouldn't be restoring or backing up right away, just activating. So, to be clear and idiot-proof (for myself, that is), it sounds like I could do that first sync/activation anywhere, then?
    Thanks.

7. iknownothing987 macrumors newbie

If I bought a phone under a family plan, what information would I need to be able to ativate an iphone from another computer if my number isn't the main number for the account?